Old 28-04-2005, 01:54 PM
Doug Kanter

wrote in message
news:42Wbe.126$RV5.120@lakeread08...
Doug Kanter wrote:

Well, he obsessiveness is spooky, but his goal was a pure and noble one:
To cause discomfort to dog criminals. :-)

I agree. I like the term, "dog criminals" too. My daughter lives next door
to people who have a pit bull who runs loose every morning. She cleans it
up out of her yard and throws it back in theirs. Been going on for a long
time.

Jean

Throwing it in their yard allows them to pick it up with a shovel.
Unscathed, in other words. Tell her to lift their windshield wipers, drop it
onto the windshield, and jam the wipers into it. This way, they have no
choice but to handle it. Best done on a day when she can stay home, so she
can call the police when the neighbors come over to complain.

Or, have her borrow a video camera. In some towns, the dog catcher won't
issue a citation unless there's "real good proof" whose dog it was. Here, 3
citations and your dog is taken away. The video camera can help her arrange
for the 3 citations within a matter of days, thereby accelerating the
removal of the vermin.

Old 29-04-2005, 01:12 PM
Doug Kanter

Dogs are hideous mistakes of nature, harbored by *other* mistakes of nature.

"Sir Toppam Hat" wrote in message
You should teach your mutt to **** in the toilet bowl. I had a cat that
did
that, but cats are much smarter than dogs.

(Frank Solis) wrote:

Am temporarily keeping our daughters dog which is a female. Naturally,
it urinates at random spots on the lawn, leaving brown circles. I've
been sprinkling lime on the spots hoping to counter the acid of the
urine. What advice do you experienced grass growers have for me?
Please don't say get rid of the dog. I've already thought of that.

Frank

Old 13-05-2005, 05:44 AM
Suzy O

The problem with urine on the lawn is that it contains urea, which has the
same effect as dousing the lawn with too much nitrogen. You can, if you
don't mind the effort, apply water right after the deed to dilute it, but
you may wind up with green, lush patches of grass that stand out from the
rest of the lawn.

In the long run, the easiest solution is to establish an out-of-the-way area
for a doggie bathroom. This will take some work to get the dog trained to
using that area exclusively, e.g., a week or two being taken out on a leash
and directed to the area and rewarded hansomely immediately afterwards.

Here's more details from the University of Minnesota Extension Service:
http://www.extension.umn.edu/yardand...N-Nov0199.html

Good luck!
Suzy O, Zone 5 Wis.

Old 15-08-2005, 10:57 PM
Registered User

Not sure how well this works, but a couple of people have told me to put a tablespoon of vineagar into a gallon of water. Use this mixture for the dogs drinking water. If she balks at the taste, you may want to start out with a teaspoon per gallon first, then build up to a Tbsp to acclimate the dog to the taste. We have two dogs, a shepard mix and a pomeranian/dachshund (sounds weird, but is gorgeous!) and don't seem to have "brown spot" problems for some strange reason, even though we don't use the vineagar. They are confined to the back yard, unless we have them on a leash, so they don't leave "problems" for others.

The lady that lives next to a Pit bull needs to call animal control - Pits are ILLEGAL in many areas, especially uncontrolled ones as this one obviously was. Good luck!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Solis

Old 16-08-2005, 04:32 AM
SVTKate

I used to have friends with two large dogs.
She mixed a little tomato juice in the dog's food. He lawn was beautiful,
not a sopt on it and the dogs seemed to gobble it down.

:
: Frank Solis Wrote:
: Am temporarily keeping our daughters dog which is a female. Naturally,
: it urinates at random spots on the lawn, leaving brown circles. I've
: been sprinkling lime on the spots hoping to counter the acid of the
: urine. What advice do you experienced grass growers have for me?
: Please don't say get rid of the dog. I've already thought of that.
:
: Frank
:
:
: --
: bleu_jay_lady

Old 16-08-2005, 12:33 PM
Toni

"bleu_jay_lady" wrote in message

Not sure how well this works, but a couple of people have told me to put
a tablespoon of vineagar into a gallon of water. Use this mixture for
the dogs drinking water.

This method attempts to change the pH of the dogs urine.
Urine pH controls what and how many bacteria inhabit the bladder, so to
intentionally change it seems a really bad idea to me.
I have huge (200 lb.+) dogs using a very small lawn area, and with regular
rinsing I have no browning at all.
And my dogs bladder health remains as nature intended.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/p..._problems.html

--
Toni
South Florida USA

Old 16-05-2019, 09:53 AM
Registered User

We had the same problem with our male dog. When we let him out he would lift his leg on our hedges and sometimes squat to pee on the lawn. Because canine pee is high in nitrogen it caused horrid looking brown spots. And needless to say the wife was not happy. We trained him to use a dog fire hydrant by spraying it with a pheremone spray and he has used his little pee post ever since. We placed it at the edge of the yard so no pee runoff would "burn" the grass. Occasionally he will pee other places in the yard but not regularly which is just par for the course when owning a dog I guess, but no more brown spots on the lawn so we're happy. With a female I assume it all comes down to training as well, and creating a pee spot away from the lawn that your pooch can use and then making sure your pet actually uses it instead of just letting her out to go on her own.

Old 18-05-2019, 09:52 AM
Registered User

Giving the pee spot on the lawn a quick spray down with the hose right after the dog pees on the lawn has worked for us no brown spots so far. But our hose is also right next to the area our dog uses so its convenient. Our vet friend told us that giving your dog more water can also help since it dilutes the pH of the urine.