Old 26-04-2005, 05:23 PM
JackRabbit

Default Perimeter spray for ticks

What are you all using for tick spray lately? I want to do a perimeter
spray just in case. I get a ton of deer.
Thanks.

Old 26-04-2005, 11:41 PM
Phisherman

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 12:23:37 -0400, "JackRabbit"
wrote:

What are you all using for tick spray lately? I want to do a perimeter
spray just in case. I get a ton of deer.
Thanks.

I have not heard of anything like that that works. I apply DEET to
skin and clothing before clearing out brush, hiking, collecting
blackberries, or walking through tall grass. Ticks will still get on
so you need to carefully check your naked self and use a mirror!
Luckily, Tennessee ticks are not known to carry lyme disease.
Equally a nuisance is chiggers.
Old 27-04-2005, 02:26 PM

Some of the different game and dep outfits were making the deer version
of a cow oiler with permethrin. I guess it was all experiment perhaps
to keep the grad students from boredom.
What they did was put corn for the deer in a bin that had paint rollers
with permethrin insecticide on them. When the deer lean in to eat the
corn the rollers deposited permethrin on their backs.
Now you probablty can't legally do it considering pesticide laws. But
it seems to me it would beat putting the stuff on the ground.
A few years back I saw cotton waste treated with permethrin for the
mice to build nests with. Mice are the other host for the deer tick.
No telling what it does to the bumblebees who search out abandoned
mouse nests in the spring to raise their own young in.

[IMG] code is On

A Bit OT - Net Curtain Perimeter? thescullster United Kingdom 3 22-01-2016 02:21 PM
Ticks! Ticks! Ticks!!! Ig.Gardener Gardening 19 14-05-2011 04:23 AM
Perimeter insecticide: Which one? [email protected] Lawns 5 11-07-2009 05:03 AM
ticks and fleas ratSenoL Texas 1 17-06-2003 07:43 PM
Ticks, Ticks and more Ticks Lar Gardening 25 07-05-2003 08:44 PM