GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Leaves on Bay plant sticky (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/93083-leaves-bay-plant-sticky.html)

Kayla 26-04-2005 10:13 PM

Leaves on Bay plant sticky

The leaves on my Bay plant are shiny and tacky as well as the
surounding area around the pot. I have looked with a magnifying glass
and can't see any bugs or spider mites. I have it inside till the
weather clears up. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Lori

Kayla 27-04-2005 02:58 AM

Until I find out what that is then it's not going past my lips in soup
or anything else. ;-)

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 23:16:11 GMT, "Cereus-validus....."
wrote:

Put the leaves in soup.

.. .

[email protected] 27-04-2005 02:17 PM

You have an insect or mite infestation, most likely insects from the
Homoptera
genus. (aphids, scale, mealy bugs.) Sight unseen I'd go for scale
insects which can be smothered with repeat applications of
horticultural oil. ( you might be able to do it with spray vegetable
oils like the brand"Pam")
The first step would be to give the plant a nice warm bath or next
month you will be asking about sooty mold.

Look on the underside of the leaves for little bumps those would be the
covers of scale insects.

alice 27-04-2005 05:59 PM

"Kayla" wrote in message
The leaves on my Bay plant are shiny and tacky as well as the
surounding area around the pot. I have looked with a magnifying glass
and can't see any bugs or spider mites. I have it inside till the
weather clears up. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Lori

you have scale..look for brown shells stuck to the new growth..Put it
outside when the weather is nice and treat is systemically.

alice