Old 28-04-2005, 01:01 AM
SedumQueen

Default Plant to ID

I have a plant that needs ID'd. Since Cereus-Validus makes fun of
anyone else who doesn't appear to be a walking encyclopedia like he
thinks he is, hopefully he'll be the expert who can ID it.

This is the "adult" plant in bloom. It has been heavily fertilized.

http://a5.cpimg.com/image/73/66/4732...-0200016A-.jpg

This is a "baby"

http://a8.cpimg.com/image/76/66/4732...-02000180-.jpg

This is another young plant

http://a3.cpimg.com/image/7B/67/4732...-02000180-.jpg

Old 28-04-2005, 06:57 AM
presley

possible it's dracaena fragrans (often called 'corn plant', because the
leaves look like the leaves of a real corn plant. here's a site with some
pics of leaves and flowers on the right. there are many varieties with
variegated leaves, but some are simply green like yours.
ups.com...

Old 28-04-2005, 07:26 AM
Cereus-validus.....

Yes, it looks like a badly grown Dracaena fragrans.

Actually it looks nothing like Zea mays, if you compare the leaf arrangement
of the two close up.

Old 28-04-2005, 10:49 AM
SedumQueen

Presley, I didn't see the link you were referring to. Please post
again.

I have researched the dracaenas before, but don't think this is what I
have. The adult plant pictured was growing at my grandmother's house
in Illinois and was very heavily fertilized with fish emulsion. The
babies are at my place in the southern US and are probably close to 10
years old. The mother plant produces offsets along it's "trunk" and
the bloom looks different than any of the dracaenas pictured on the
internet. The trunk is very papery from where the previous leaves have
died off and the leaves are at least twice as long as the dracaena
fragrans.

Since the mother plant and babies are grown in different places, but
still look just alike, I don't think it's a matter of the plant looking
like this because it's badly grown. Does anyone else have a guess?

Old 28-04-2005, 12:34 PM
Cereus-validus.....

Post a picture of it in bloom.

Guessing is a waste of time.

Old 28-04-2005, 12:43 PM
Cereus-validus.....

Your first picture is supposedly the plant in bloom but need to see the
floral stem and flowers close-up to make out the details.

Trying to see it with binoculars don't work over the internet.

"Cereus-validus....." wrote in message
Post a picture of it in bloom.

Guessing is a waste of time.

Old 28-04-2005, 03:17 PM
SedumQueen

I tried scanning just the bloom from my picture at 1600 dpi to see if
that will help. The picture was taken 10 years ago and I haven't been
back there since to get a better picture. I have a digital camera now,
so I could get a great pic if I was there.

Anyway, here is a close-up of the bloom:

http://a7.cpimg.com/image/41/65/4734...-014B0200-.jpg

Old 28-04-2005, 04:04 PM
Cereus-validus.....

Cannot make out any detail. Looks like the flowers are all faded.

If the floral stem is a lateral scape with an umbel of flowers, it may be an
Amaryllid, possibly a Crinum.
Would need to see it in full bloom to figure out which one.

http://www.bulbsociety.com/GALLERY_O...inumlist.shtml

oups.com...

Old 29-04-2005, 08:33 PM
SedumQueen

Last year, someone in a yahoo pepperomia group thought it was a crinum,
too, but I hadn't been convinced. However, last night I emailed a
website (Old House Gardens) that sells crinums and this is what they
said:

"Thanks for your inquiry! The photos finally came through and we do not
think that what you have is a crinum. A crinum is a bulb and the
foliage would come right out of the ground, there wouldn't be a trunk
or any woody part of the plant. Unfortunately, the bloom looks a little
past it's prime, so it's hard to say what you've got, but we don't
think it's a crinum."

Does anyone else have any idea?

Old 29-04-2005, 09:17 PM
Cereus-validus.....

Crinum is a very large genus and NOT all the species, especially the ones
that normally grow in swampy ground, have a bulb.

Show us pix of the plant in full bloom and it can be identified with
certainty. Will especially need to see pix of the flowers themselves too.

Old 29-04-2005, 09:58 PM
Cereus-validus.....

What little can be told from your pix is that it is probably closest to the
widely grown, weedy Crinum asiaticum. The species is polymorphic in the wild
and there many wild and garden hybrids of it also.

http://www.amaryllidaceae.org/Crinum/index.htm

Old House Gardens does not specilize in tropical bulbs.