Old 28-04-2005, 02:13 PM
JackRabbit

Default Soil test results

Got the results yesterday from UMass. They say I need to apply a fertilizer
that has a breakdown of 20-3-12 at 5lbs per 1000 sq ft. I have no idea
where to get this.

An alternative was to apply 2lb of P, 2lb of K, and 1 lb of nitrogen. If I
can't find the mixture above, what would I buy at the HD or garden shop to
accomplish this mix.

Thanks for your time. My lawn looks like hell.

Old 28-04-2005, 03:32 PM
Phisherman

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 09:13:05 -0400, "JackRabbit"
wrote:

Got the results yesterday from UMass. They say I need to apply a fertilizer
that has a breakdown of 20-3-12 at 5lbs per 1000 sq ft. I have no idea
where to get this.

An alternative was to apply 2lb of P, 2lb of K, and 1 lb of nitrogen. If I
can't find the mixture above, what would I buy at the HD or garden shop to
accomplish this mix.

Thanks for your time. My lawn looks like hell.

Your best bet is call around locally. Most lawns will benefit by
applications of organic material and mulching which returns nitrogen
to the soil. Organic fertilizers contain trace elements. If you use
inorganic fertilizers, use slow-release products and/or apply in
several applications spaced a month apart. Lawn fertilizers applied
in the fall are much more effective, so don't miss that. Lawn take
many months to restore, so you'll need patience too. Using a
fertilizer wil a low middle number should work well. Have the soil
tested again in 12 months.
Old 28-04-2005, 04:05 PM
simy1

JackRabbit wrote:
Got the results yesterday from UMass. They say I need to apply a

fertilizer
that has a breakdown of 20-3-12 at 5lbs per 1000 sq ft. I have no

idea
where to get this.

An alternative was to apply 2lb of P, 2lb of K, and 1 lb of nitrogen.

If I
can't find the mixture above, what would I buy at the HD or garden

shop to
accomplish this mix.

Thanks for your time. My lawn looks like hell

The first and second paragraph are inconsistent, because if you mix
those pounds you will have a 1-2-2 profile. I assume 20-3-12 is what
you want.

The cheapest source of N is urea at 46% by weight, which is commonly
sold in farm supply stores.
The cheapest source of K is wood ash at 8% by weight, found in wood
stoves throughout the country. Wood ash would have P at perhaps 2% by
weight, fulfilling that requirement as well. If not, the farm supply
store will provide you with various chemicals containing P and K at
about 40% by weight, which you will have to mix properly.
It would be best if you could mix it all with a larger amount of
compost before spreading.

Old 28-04-2005, 05:40 PM
Derryl

Buy your fertilizer at the farm supply store. Otherwise a mix of 16 -
20-0 will suffice.

Derryl

Old 29-04-2005, 12:27 AM

That would be the optimum mix, anything close will do.
You are applying 1lb of Nitrogen per 1000 sq ft
and just over half a pound of potash.
Additional potash will give your turf some drought resistance.
You probably do not need any additional phosphorus unless you are
bagging and removing your clippings. What was the soil pH?
Concentrate on getting the nitrogen right and keeping the phoshorus to
a minimum and you will do ok.
Remember on the fertilizer bags the numbers are percentages.
100 lbs of 20-3-12 contains 20lbs of N

Old 29-04-2005, 02:00 PM
JackRabbit

Went to HD, got a 24-2-11 from Lesco. Close enough !!
Thanks to all who replied.

oups.com...

Old 01-05-2005, 04:24 AM
RAINDEAR

good time to kill it, then.....and plant natives which require little or no
water so if your area goes into drought alert, you won't have to worry about
having DEAD YARD!!!!!!!!!