Old 28-04-2005, 04:53 PM
Grif Nordling

Default Cornmeal & Roses

Digital Vinyl opined:

"Actually looking at Scott's Turf builder... 30-3-3, an 18 pound bag
feeds up to 5,000 square feet. For 10,000 sq ft that's 10.8 pounds of
Nitrogen! Compared to just 4-5lbs for the corn. Corn is a moderate
amount compared to commercial ferts."

????? Did you fail math class, logic class or both?
As you say, Turf Builder supplies 10.8 lbs of N for 10,000 square
feet. That's 1.08 lbs per thousand square feet. Are you with me so
far?

Corn gluten varies between nine and eleven percent actual nitrogen, so
let's just say an average of 10%. Are you still with me? It takes
between forty and fifty pounds of gluten per thousand square feet to
provide a noticable level of weed suppression. Are you still there?
Forty pounds of gluten at 10% nitrogen equals FOUR POUNDS of notrogen
per thousand square feet. It may be slow release, as Ann claims, but
it's still way more nitrogen than is healthy for the grass. Can you
say Rhizoctonia? I didn't think so. But if you apply four pounds of
nitrogen to fescue, rye or bluegrass in the spring or summer you will
quickly find out what it means.

Yes, corn gluten will suppress weeds IF USED HEAVILY ENOUGH, but it's
also a great way to kill your lawn, or at least make it very sick.
Old 28-04-2005, 10:17 PM
Jim Carlock

How's that 30-3-3 number work?

I understand it's a nitrogen-phosphorous-potassium (NPK) ratio, but does
it have anything to do with the real weight of the bag? Could there be some
other things (with carbon, hydrogen and/or other elements) and wouldn't
those other things have a weight as well?

And wouldn't it be better to use something with some extras... minerals,
proteins and such? It's been a long time since I've looked at the whole
sunshine on the leaf-chloroform process. :-)

--
Jim Carlock
Please post replies to newsgroup.

"DigitalVinyl" wrote:
Yep missed that last zero but I learned one new thing...

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
2nd year gardener
http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalfrazier/