Old 28-04-2005, 08:55 PM
Dawn

Default any hope for Clematis?

I have a Ville de Lyon I planted last year, which didn't do much as I
understand happens the first year. This spring it put up a new shoot and
started growing like gangbusters. The vine was about 3 feet long until
we had a wind storm last week when it snapped off at about 10" above
ground. I had it on a trellis, so it wasn't like it was out there
getting whipped around. Anyway, it's still got 3 clusters of leaves but
it's not showing any signs of new growth. I fertilised it the day it
broke, hoping to give it a bit of a kickstart, and I've been weeding to
keep it from having to compete. Is there any chance it will pick up and
grow some more and bloom, or am I just SOL this year?

Dawn
Old 28-04-2005, 11:44 PM
Phisherman

Keep it weeded, and apply a layer of compost. There are many
varieties of clematis, some bloom on last-year's growth. Have
patience--don't expect too much the first two or three years. I fed
mine fish emulsion while it was becoming established and glad I built
a large sturdy trellis for them. The three I have bloom at different
times of the spring/summer.

Old 29-04-2005, 09:00 PM
Leon Trollski

"Dawn" wrote in message
I have a Ville de Lyon I planted last year, which didn't do much as I
understand happens the first year. This spring it put up a new shoot and
started growing like gangbusters. The vine was about 3 feet long until
we had a wind storm last week when it snapped off at about 10" above
ground. I had it on a trellis, so it wasn't like it was out there
getting whipped around. Anyway, it's still got 3 clusters of leaves but
it's not showing any signs of new growth. I fertilised it the day it
broke, hoping to give it a bit of a kickstart, and I've been weeding to
keep it from having to compete. Is there any chance it will pick up and
grow some more and bloom, or am I just SOL this year?

Dawn

Keep the roots cool with a big rock or other plants, I have the same
variety. It will grow and give you some flowers this year. Next year it
will give you many flowers!