Old 29-04-2005, 03:59 AM
RhondaM

Default Moles,groundhogs, and Praire dogs

Help I am being over run by these pests. I planted spring bulbs and the
little buggars ate them. I have mounds in my flower beds from where they
burrowed. I have spotted one back in March and I know they are under there,
but I do not know what to do. I want the humane way of dealing with this. I
have googled this topic and have found people just wanting to sale me stuff.

RhondaM

Old 29-04-2005, 02:37 PM
enigma

"RhondaM" wrote in
:

Help I am being over run by these pests. I planted spring
bulbs and the little buggars ate them. I have mounds in my
flower beds from where they burrowed. I have spotted one
back in March and I know they are under there, but I do not
know what to do. I want the humane way of dealing with
this. I have googled this topic and have found people just
wanting to sale me stuff.

first, you need to know your enemy. moles don't eat bulbs &
rarely nibble plants. they eat grubs mostly, & worms. to get
rid of moles, you need to get rid of the grubs. personally, i
just ignore the moles, & step on any tunnels that stick up too
far out of the lawn.
groundhogs don't, IME, eat bulbs either, but they'll decimate
a veggie garden & leave huge holes in the pasture into which
the livestock can step & break a leg. a .22 works well on
them, or a neighborhood fox (as long as you don't also have
chickens. *my* neighborhood fox is a goner as soon as i see
him next). whatever you do, do NOT trap it & release it
somewhere else. no one else wants your problem.
don't know about prarie dogs. we don't have those here.
lee shooting is humane
Old 29-04-2005, 06:04 PM
Phisherman

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 01:59:29 GMT, "RhondaM" wrote:

Help I am being over run by these pests. I planted spring bulbs and the
little buggars ate them. I have mounds in my flower beds from where they
burrowed. I have spotted one back in March and I know they are under there,
but I do not know what to do. I want the humane way of dealing with this. I
have googled this topic and have found people just wanting to sale me stuff.

RhondaM

Plant your bulbs in a wire cage. Squirrels are notorious for digging
up and eating tulip bulbs. I plant daffodils--no animal seems to like
to eat these. Groundhogs can climb fences (I've seen them do it!),
but they steer clear of the electric fence around the veggetable
garden. Moles eat grubs.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:18 AM
RAINDEAR

in my yard, 2 years ago, the little buggers ate over 300 lily bulbs which
were my pride and joy.

ok. here are a couple of things to try, they worked at MY house and by
golly, i gotta tell you, new hamster has to have been built atop boulders
(left by the last glacial age), sand, ant hills, and moles, voles, chipmunk
holes, and hornet/yellowjacket nests. (sigh)

first, i planted daffodils and Crown Imperial (Frittalaria(sp?) circling
around the plants i wanted to keep, like my campanulas and coreopsis. the
crown imperials are a bit pricey at apx. $5 a pop, but after 2 years, they
DO naturalise; the daffies start naturalising right away. the critters also
don't like helleborus; if you live in the north, you hafta get the "lenten
rose," if you live in the south, you can get either the "lenten rose" or the
"xmas" helleborus. if you live in new england or upstate new york area, you
can also get wild hellebore.

next, if you can get your hands on some thin tin sheet metal OR leftover
scraps of house siding (not the vinyl, the metallic or pvc stuff), you can
build a little box which MUST BE at least 5 to 6 inches deep into the soil.
it doesn't matter, really, how high it is above the root level, but it MUST
BE 5 to 6 inches deep.

between these two methods or a little of both, you should be able to stop
them in their tracks without harming them.

the other treatment is to spray a mixture of castor bean oil and water (i
add a tsp. of very fine chilli powder) and either spray the exit holes or
pour straight castor bean oil down the holes. i've been doing all of these
and my population of critters has dropped A LOT (yehhhhh!!!)

try it....who knows, your critters may respond to the treatment too!!
good luck.

From: Phisherman
Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 16:04:07 GMT

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 01:59:29 GMT, "RhondaM" wrote:

Help I am being over run by these pests. I planted spring bulbs and the
little buggars ate them. I have mounds in my flower beds from where they
burrowed. I have spotted one back in March and I know they are under
there,
but I do not know what to do. I want the humane way of dealing with
this. I
have googled this topic and have found people just wanting to sale me
stuff.

RhondaM

Plant your bulbs in a wire cage. Squirrels are notorious for digging
up and eating tulip bulbs. I plant daffodils--no animal seems to like
to eat these. Groundhogs can climb fences (I've seen them do it!),
but they steer clear of the electric fence around the veggetable
garden. Moles eat grubs.

Hey thanks. I will do that. The daffodil thing sounds like a winner. I have
been going outside and stomping down the mounds. That has helped a little
they seem to have gone elsewhere. I will try what you suggested.
RhondaM

[IMG] code is On

Groundhogs Mike Davis Gardening 48 15-03-2004 01:02 AM
have any groundhogs? glowworm Orchids 4 08-10-2003 01:42 PM
groundhogs and tomatoes BT Gardening 5 21-08-2003 05:22 PM
grubs, moles, and now dogs.. how to deal w/ lawn's circle of life Sundar Narasimhan Gardening 5 17-05-2003 01:56 AM
grubs, moles, and now dogs.. how to deal w/ lawn's circle of Sundar Narasimhan Gardening 0 16-05-2003 02:44 PM