GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tips on using fertilizer? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/93242-tips-using-fertilizer.html)

Phooom 30-04-2005 04:39 AM

Tips on using fertilizer?

I was wondering, if anybody have any tips on creating and using
fertilzer from seafood scraps, such as shrimp heads and shellings.

Wonder if this is any better than the fertilizer sold in stores? Would
be pretty cool since I eat seafood pretty often.

Snooze 30-04-2005 06:52 AM

"Phooom" wrote in message
ups.com...
I was wondering, if anybody have any tips on creating and using
fertilzer from seafood scraps, such as shrimp heads and shellings.

Wonder if this is any better than the fertilizer sold in stores? Would
be pretty cool since I eat seafood pretty often.

That is pretty much what fish emulsion is. It's just the waste from
processing fish, the fillets go to market the organs, heads, tails, etc get
turned into fish oil, fish meal and fish emulsion.

I suppose you could take a trowel and bury a bit of it around the garden, my
only concern would be that it would attract rodents. Supposedly native
americans would place a small fish in the hole with a corn kernel for
fertilizer.

[email protected] 30-04-2005 01:00 PM

Use the fish scraps as the nitrogen source of your compost.

rickm 30-04-2005 02:48 PM

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 05:52:51 GMT, "Snooze" wrote:
snippage
I suppose you could take a trowel and bury a bit of it around the garden, my
only concern would be that it would attract rodents. Supposedly native
americans would place a small fish in the hole with a corn kernel for
fertilizer.

We did this when I was growing up in VA, it seems to help. Used
fishheads under tomatoes, corn, beans, you name it. We never had a
rodent problem due to an army of cats.

Phooom 01-05-2005 04:47 AM

Ah. Sounds easy and effective, although attracting rodents would be
problematic.

Hmm ... shrimp shellings and heads wouldn't attract rodents would it
....? Maybe an excuse to own a cat.