Old 30-04-2005, 04:25 PM
BillC

Default Planting above a septic leach field ?

I have house with a standard septic system (built 2002) in a semi arid
region. I'm thinking of planting tam juniper shrubs above the leach area.

Is this a good or bad idea? Any suggestions for do's and don'ts? Would other
plant types be better?

Thnx

Old 30-04-2005, 08:16 PM
Frank Logullo

"BillC" wrote in message
ink.net...
I have house with a standard septic system (built 2002) in a semi arid
region. I'm thinking of planting tam juniper shrubs above the leach area.

Is this a good or bad idea? Any suggestions for do's and don'ts? Would

other
plant types be better?

IMHO as a septic owner for 30 years I'd leave it in grass. Trees nearby
should not be a problem. Roots in field should not be a problem but you
don't want to get roots in distribution pipes. Do not plant a garden over
it. Some fields also lose water by evaporation and are best just exposed
without shade. I think around here, alternate fields must be installed now,
but before this was the law I had to have a 2nd installed. Apparently they
can lose absorbtion due to salt build up and every few years I need to
switch while the other field regenerates from normal rainfall. Make sure
you have access to cleanout and pump every 2-3 years. Also know where all
your pipes go in case of problems. I have one neighbor that has disregarded
all of this and has never had his tank pumped and he's never had a problem.
I think it is because kids are grown and there is only him and his wife.
Frank

Old 01-05-2005, 07:54 AM
RAINDEAR

you know...i had those exact questions a couple of years ago and i hit up on
my state's extension services (state of new hampshire)....'cept i wanted to
know if i could plant edibles atop the leach field, and here is what i was
told:

elderberry bushes (Sambuca) are the best edibles to plant atop the leach
field cuz its roots don't go deep so none of the waste liquids will go up
the roots and affect the plant. they also recommended sarvisberry
(Amelanchier) and currants, but i settled for the elderberries.

if you plant ANY kind of evergreen, but especially tams, you are giving an
open invitation to spidermites to come into your house and infest your house
plants. spider mites can come into ANY house, even if it's sealed, double
windows, etc., etc. don't take the chance.
--
"Spring has sprung,
the grass has riz -

From: "BillC"
Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 14:25:22 GMT
Subject: Planting above a septic leach field ?

Old 01-05-2005, 02:07 PM
JamesG

Bill,
It is recommended that you only plant grass above your drainfield to
prevent roots from clogging and damaging your drainfield. Given the
cost of replacing a drainfield, I wouldn't risk putting the shrubs
above it. Maybe some of those ornamental grasses could be a good
compromise. I am an Engineer for our Water and Wastewater Utility and
get questions about these systems quite a bit. A good homeowner's
guide for septic system information can be found at:
http://www.epa.gov/owm/septic/pubs/h...guide_long.pdf

The general EPA onsite site is:
http://cfpub.epa.gov/owm/septic/home.cfm?program_id=70

Please contact me if you have any additional questions.

James