Old 30-04-2005, 04:50 PM
TomKan

Default Black blooms wanted

Are there any blooms that are black?? I've purchased some plants that
claim the bloom is black, but they're not. So, does anyone know of any
flowers that are close enough to being black to be named as being
black??

Old 30-04-2005, 04:54 PM
Charles

On 30 Apr 2005 07:50:46 -0700, "TomKan" wrote:

Are there any blooms that are black?? I've purchased some plants that
claim the bloom is black, but they're not. So, does anyone know of any
flowers that are close enough to being black to be named as being
black??

several Iris have "black" in the name, none truly black that I know
of. Mostly really dark purple.

--
Charles

Does not play well with others.
Old 30-04-2005, 06:28 PM
Starlord

I grow iris that are black, but just remember, in nature there is NO true
black, it's a deep dark blue that is as close to black as can be found in
plants and my iris are that dark as to be called black.

oups.com...

Old 30-04-2005, 06:30 PM
Starlord

"Before the Storm", and others are as far as the human eye can tell are
"Black" and I know I've got them blooming right now and even on film they
show as "Black".

Old 30-04-2005, 06:52 PM
Lyn Levy

TomKan wrote:
Are there any blooms that are black?? I've purchased some plants that
claim the bloom is black, but they're not. So, does anyone know of any
flowers that are close enough to being black to be named as being
black??

I planted a black and white garden and found the same concern! Black
usually means purple. However, I did find black pansies that were truly
black, a black annual poppy that is really as close to black as I've
seen...there are some truly black iris varieties....There are a couple
of varieties of hellebore that are true black and quite stunning! Good luck,
Lyn

Old 01-05-2005, 03:28 AM
Leon Trollski

"TomKan" wrote in message
oups.com...
Are there any blooms that are black?? I've purchased some plants that
claim the bloom is black, but they're not. So, does anyone know of any
flowers that are close enough to being black to be named as being
black??

I have black Hollyhocks. Pretty close to black.
and two varieties of "black" Columbines.

Violas were mentioned.

Old 01-05-2005, 04:25 AM
paghat

TomKan wrote:
Are there any blooms that are black?? I've purchased some plants that
claim the bloom is black, but they're not. So, does anyone know of any
flowers that are close enough to being black to be named as being
black??

Black mondo grass has the truest black-black leaves I've ever seen, &amp
very black shiny berries. But not the flowers.

On a sunny day the tulip 'Queen of Night' does look black, but my camera's
eye always brings out the fact that its purple.

'Black Barlow' double-columbine has pompom flowers that look pretty close
to black.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html
Old 13-05-2005, 05:08 AM
Suzy O

Another black-flowered plant that comes to mind is Cleveland Sage. It truly
appears to be jet black, and has lovely gray foliage. Alas, it's not hardy
here in Zone 5, but worth keeping over winter.

Suzy O

oups.com...

Old 13-05-2005, 03:21 PM
Wolf Kirchmeir

Suzy O wrote:
Another black-flowered plant that comes to mind is Cleveland Sage. It truly
appears to be jet black, and has lovely gray foliage. Alas, it's not hardy
here in Zone 5, but worth keeping over winter.

Suzy O

"TomKan" wrote in message
oups.com...

Are there any blooms that are black?? I've purchased some plants that
claim the bloom is black, but they're not. So, does anyone know of any
flowers that are close enough to being black to be named as being
black??

Blacks are actually deeep, deep purples, so in bright light you may see
that purple tinge.

There are some black pansy varieties. The ones offered here as bedding
plants are very black. They don't overwinter (Can. zone 4).

Black tulips are also very black, but after a year or two they begin to
lighten up. Jolly things, tulips -- don't like to be gloomy. :-)