Old 30-04-2005, 11:03 PM
snow

Default Homemade greenhouse costs??

I am hoping to build a greenhouse about 15 feet by 30 feet. I am looking at
a metal frame with high quality plastic for covering.
Anyone built one themselves? I am interested in the costs and types of
design.
This will be a free standing greenhouse about 10 feet from my garage. Any
information apppreciated. I have a carpenter friend who is willing to help
me build when I find a good design.

Old 30-04-2005, 11:48 PM
John Bachman

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 22:03:55 GMT, "snow"
wrote:

I am hoping to build a greenhouse about 15 feet by 30 feet. I am looking at
a metal frame with high quality plastic for covering.
Anyone built one themselves? I am interested in the costs and types of
design.
This will be a free standing greenhouse about 10 feet from my garage. Any
information apppreciated. I have a carpenter friend who is willing to help
me build when I find a good design.

My experience is that it only costs 2 - 3 times as much to do one
myself versus buying a kit. That seems a small price to pay for the
satisfaction ;-)

John

Old 01-05-2005, 12:50 PM
Oxymel of Squill

made mine out of wood, avoids all those draughts. It's a lean to using two
stone walls for their heat retention. 13' x 6' using horticultural glass for
the wall and twin layer plastic for the roof and door cost me £700

Old 01-05-2005, 01:29 PM
VMWOOD

Built my own 8 x 16 lean-to last summer. The cost was about the same as
a cheaper kit but is much better built. Also most kits don't give too
much thought to exhaust fans and ventilation. Unless you only want to
use for a very short time each year this is just as inportant as
heating. You can view my greenhouse at the link below.

Marv-Montezuma, IA
http://community.webshots.com/user/vmwood

Old 01-05-2005, 03:34 PM
William W. Plummer

VMWOOD wrote:

Built my own 8 x 16 lean-to last summer. The cost was about the same as
a cheaper kit but is much better built. Also most kits don't give too
much thought to exhaust fans and ventilation. Unless you only want to
use for a very short time each year this is just as inportant as
heating. You can view my greenhouse at the link below.

Marv-Montezuma, IA
http://community.webshots.com/user/vmwood

Is your greenhouse set on the ground? Or are there sonotubes? Would it
have been better to have it a few inches above ground to prevent
continuous contact with moisture?

Old 01-05-2005, 09:38 PM
sue and dave

Snow,

There an awful lot to define before you can expect decent answers to your
question.

just for example:

location ( where you live)
siting on your site, relative to the sun
what you want to do inside the greenhouse... annuals, veggies, propagation
of orchids or other specialties..and lots in between

Hobby or business? do you need town permits for this structure?

how much of the year do you expect to use it, how you will heat it AND cool
it, what your water source will be....

without knowing these things, I think any answers are just shots in the
dark.

Sue
Western Maine

Old 01-05-2005, 10:24 PM
VMWOOD

Greenhouse sets on a landscape timber frame. Have weed barrier & pea
gravel floor.

Marv-Montezuma, IA
http://community.webshots.com/user/vmwood

[IMG] code is On

Ideal material for homemade Greenhouse? harry.yates Gardening 7 20-08-2013 07:42 PM
PVC Homemade greenhouse snow Gardening 2 01-05-2005 02:49 PM
Greenhouse running costs jimmy United Kingdom 8 22-07-2004 07:43 PM
Greenhouse running costs jimmy United Kingdom 4 22-07-2004 12:02 AM
Turf laying costs? dmc United Kingdom 1 09-04-2003 02:20 PM