GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Plant near well? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/93306-plant-near-well.html)

[email protected] 01-05-2005 01:47 PM

Plant near well?

I have a dug well and need to know how close to it I can plant a new
tree or shrub.

enigma 01-05-2005 04:11 PM

wrote in
oups.com:

I have a dug well and need to know how close to it I can
plant a new tree or shrub.

what tree or shrub? how deep is your dug well & what is the
water level?
my dug well is 18', the water level is between 12-13' (unless
it's droughty a few years in a row... then it's dry in August
g).
i have forsythia right next to the well... it was actually
covered by forsythia when i bought the house, but i cut about
3/4s of them down. looked too messy & was over shading some
peonies on the other side of the well.
don't plant willow anywhere near the well.
is your well screened/covered? if not, that needs a LOT more
priority than planting anything near it! nothing like a dead
squirrel contaminating your drinking water... (you do test
your well water every year, right?)
lee