Old 01-05-2005, 09:02 PM
starman

Default (OT) Did this late winter kill the trees here?

Here in northern Ohio, all of the the trees in this area still haven't
budded, and the ones that did have stunted, shriveled, discolored and
frostbitten leaves.

Temperatures the past month or so have been way below average, and the area
was hit by a snowstorm just last week. Is it safe to say that the trees are
dead for this season?

Old 01-05-2005, 10:17 PM
Paulo

I am not an expert...but if last week you had an snowstorm i guess the trees
are waiting to have a better weather to start to grow. IN toronto some trees
didnt start either yet

Paulo

Old 02-05-2005, 12:45 AM
Warren

starman wrote:
Here in northern Ohio, all of the the trees in this area still haven't
budded, and the ones that did have stunted, shriveled, discolored and
frostbitten leaves.

Temperatures the past month or so have been way below average, and the
area
was hit by a snowstorm just last week. Is it safe to say that the trees
are
dead for this season?

Not unless they were already stressed to the edge of death, and would have
been dead by the end of the year anyway.

This is hardly the first time northern Ohio had a late April snow storm, or
had colder than average temperatures in April. And it won't be the last.
It's just plain silly to think that a little bad weather in April is going
to kill the trees. If it wasn't bad enough to kill-off the people of Ohio,
it wasn't bad enough to kill-off the trees of Ohio. Those trees are far
hardier than you are.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Care for your landscape with Black and Decker cordless tools
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/blac...ker/index.html

Old 02-05-2005, 01:15 AM
Vox Humana

"starman" wrote in message
Here in northern Ohio, all of the the trees in this area still haven't
budded, and the ones that did have stunted, shriveled, discolored and
frostbitten leaves.

Temperatures the past month or so have been way below average, and the

area
was hit by a snowstorm just last week. Is it safe to say that the trees

are
dead for this season?

My sister lives in Lake County. According to her, the trees are normal for
this time of year. That is, they are blooming and leafing out as expected.
I have noticed a lot of tip die-back on shrubs and younger trees here in SW
Ohio. I spend part of the week pruning dead branches as part of my general
spring clean-up effort. The weather has been unusually cold here - about
10F lower than normal. We are under a frost advisory for tonight and
tomorrow night. I often have my annual planted by this time, but I wouldn't
consider doing so for the next two weeks after looking at the extended
forecast.

If anything is responsible for damaging plant material this year, I think it
would be sudden onset of cold weather around Christmas followed by a couple
of weeks of unseasonably warm weather in January, followed by a sudden,
extended cold snap.