GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   lay brick edging or lawn first? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/93334-lay-brick-edging-lawn-first.html)

DIY Novice 01-05-2005 10:46 PM

lay brick edging or lawn first?

I want to put a brick edging down between my lawn and flower beds. The
edging will also be a mowing edge, ie I want the brick edging and the
lawn to be at the same level. I m digging up the garden at the moment
and I'm not sure if I should put the lawn down first and then put the
bricks at the same level or vice versa. I guess I'm worried that the
lawn will settle and drop below the brick edging which I plan to lay
on a weak mortar mix.
Any thoughts?

David Bockman 02-05-2005 01:45 PM

(DIY Novice) wrote in
om:

I want to put a brick edging down between my lawn and flower beds. The
edging will also be a mowing edge, ie I want the brick edging and the
lawn to be at the same level. I m digging up the garden at the moment
and I'm not sure if I should put the lawn down first and then put the
bricks at the same level or vice versa. I guess I'm worried that the
lawn will settle and drop below the brick edging which I plan to lay
on a weak mortar mix.
Any thoughts?

If it were me, I would wait until the very last to install the brick
edging. Once your flower beds and turf are established, you may reconsider
previously planned shapes and curves, and it would be a lot of wasted work
to have to dig up an existing brick edge and relay it.

email:

http://beyondgardening.com/Albums

Derryl 02-05-2005 05:58 PM

On 1 May 2005 14:46:57 -0700, (DIY Novice) wrote:

Get your lawn established and install your bricks later. You can
install ther bricks without mortar and they will be OK.

Derryl