GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   mowing on a severe slope (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/93337-mowing-severe-slope.html)

Tracey Jo Legel 08-05-2005 07:05 PM

Find some of those second hand sport shoes that have spikes on the bottom
first. It will really help with traction.
Tracey

wrote in message
On 1 May 2005 18:40:32 -0700, "
wrote:

I have an embankment 60 metres long. The slope is approx 45deg. The
height varies from zero to 4.5metres, but is mostly 4 metres. The slope
is grassed, the grass having been planted the year before last. I now
have the problem of mowing. I've done it once with a strimmer and a
ladder, but never again! I've heard that it can be done with a hover on
a rope. Has anyone any good idea about this, other than mountain goats?

Bill

Once upon a time, when I worked in landscaping, we used small, light
lawnmowers attached to rope. We'd lower the mower down steep slopes
and pull it back up. That was before weed whackers.

Of course I was young and stupid back then, so what did I know? They
told me to do it and I did. It actually worked pretty good. I really
can't say as to how good of an idea it is.

I don't think I'd do it today, but then I'm older, wiser, and woosier
now.

Swyck

SedumQueen 10-05-2005 09:16 PM

I wouldn't want to have to mow an area like that. I wonder if a
reel-type mower would be safer than a regular one?

I'd try to get rid of the grass and replace it with something that
didn't have to be mowed. Or i'd get out there with a pair of grass
clippers that you use by hand.