Old 02-05-2005, 02:12 PM
Registered User

Default Peaty Soil - Help!

Sorry for cross-posting, but I'm desperate.

We have just bought a new property in Northern Ireland and the garden is causing us nightmares. The soil is very peaty and is black in colour. It also retains a lot of water, but has a tendancy to crust over in hotter weather.

At the moment the garden is a blank canvas as we have no idea what to do with it. We would like to plant a lawn and have some colour in the garden. Can anyone offer any advise on how to work with the garden and maybe any recommendations for lawn and plant types.

I can email pictures of the garden and soil to anyone who may be interested in helping.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-05-2005, 03:19 PM
William W. Plummer

michelestokes wrote:

Sorry for cross-posting, but I'm desperate.

We have just bought a new property in Northern Ireland and the garden
is causing us nightmares. The soil is very peaty and is black in
colour. It also retains a lot of water, but has a tendancy to crust
over in hotter weather.

At the moment the garden is a blank canvas as we have no idea what to
do with it. We would like to plant a lawn and have some colour in the
garden. Can anyone offer any advise on how to work with the garden and
maybe any recommendations for lawn and plant types.

Look for local garden clubs. Talk to some nurseries and landscapers
for ideas. I'm not sure, but I believe peat is very acidic so you will
want to add lime. And make sure you get real lime, not powdered
limestone (ground up clam shells).

I'm sure you have a standard problem and there must be a standard solution.
Old 02-05-2005, 04:15 PM
Registered User

Sorry, should have added, I was under the impression that peaty soils have very few nutrients and can remain waterlogged during critical sowing times - is this correct or am I moaning about something I shouldn't be? I'm new to gardening and am just going off what I've read.

We can't even walk on the soil without risking losing a boot. And pools of stagnant water that won't drain away can get pretty smelly!

The only thing that is growing in the surrounding fields is heather, so I guess we should take a cue from nature. Still want a lawn though, can anyone suggest the best way to add drainage to the soil?
Old 02-05-2005, 11:57 PM
David Bockman

Janet Baraclough wrote in
:

No, he needs to adjust to local conditions and grow plants that
love
wet acid peaty soil and thrive there, such as azaleas, rhododendron,
gunnera. There are many fabulous gardens in Ireland Your other advice
is good. Plus, he should get visiting local gardens which are open to
the public, (with a notebook) and go to the local library to check out
the gardening books.

Janet. (West Scotland).

What Janet said. )

email:
http://beyondgardening.com/Albums
Old 03-05-2005, 12:51 AM
Leon Trollski

"michelestokes" wrote in message

We can't even walk on the soil without risking losing a boot. And pools
of stagnant water that won't drain away can get pretty smelly!

Sounds like you bought the proverbial swamp 8-)

Is your property higher, lower or the same height as surrounding land?

Unless it is higher, you are well and truly screwed.

Old 03-05-2005, 11:43 AM
Registered User

Oh, now you have me realy worried. It's more or less the same height, maybe a foot higher at most.