Old 02-05-2005, 06:42 PM
Eric

Default Riding lawn mower and lawn roller

Hello,

I just bought a used Simplicity Sunrunner riding mower (the mower is in
the front and the wheels turn from the back). It's an 8hp Briggs and
Stratton engine. The manual does not mention towing capacity.

I would like to attach a small lawn roller to it. The lawn roller
weighs about 225lbs filled with water. The grading of my lawn is almost
entirely flat -- I just want to knock down some little ridges and
especially mole tunnels.

I asked if my mower could handle this towing weight at the local
Simplicity dealer and the guy said it could do it as long as I went
slow. At the same time I had an email into Simplicity's headquarters
and their response was that the mower was too small.

Any opinions from the group on who was correct? Was Simplicity being
overly cautious and the local guy more realistic? Or, was Simplicity
correct and the local guy just telling me what I wanted to hear?

Thanks in advance,
Eric
Old 02-05-2005, 08:06 PM
William W. Plummer

Eric wrote:

[...]

The thing that adds to the tow-load is bumps in the lawn. But that's
why you're rolling. I've rolled 2 or 3 times using a 12.5 hp Sears and
a standard lawn roller. I didn't have any problems pulling it, but it
didn't do any good either. We won't even go into the moles, voles,
chipmunks and squirrels.

[IMG] code is On

Advice on Best petrol rear roller 21 inch mower gb United Kingdom 0 12-11-2008 07:46 PM
Recommendations on reel mower "accessories" (roller, rear wheels, etc.) Patrick Demets Gardening 4 24-06-2004 11:03 PM
Hand Mower with Roller NWalch United Kingdom 4 19-05-2003 01:08 PM
Best Lawn Roller? Joe Morris Gardening 7 30-03-2003 05:32 AM
Atco Rear Roller Rotary Mower Douglas Hageman United Kingdom 3 27-03-2003 04:34 PM