Old 04-05-2005, 04:00 PM
WPB

Default Hick's yew -- question about roots

Hello, all: I have a Hick's yew in my backyard and am building a new garden
box to hold three or four more. I'm not describing this very well, but
what I need to know is how deep a Hick's yew's roots will go. The one I
have right now is about 6-7 feet tall and ideally I'd like the new ones to
grow to the same height, but I need to know how much room to leave for the
roots.

Any information will be gratefully received!

David
Old 05-05-2005, 09:22 AM
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPB
Hello, all: I have a Hick's yew in my backyard and am building a new garden box to hold three or four more. I'm not describing this very well, but what I need to know is how deep a Hick's yew's roots will go. The one I have right now is about 6-7 feet tall and ideally I'd like the new ones to grow to the same height, but I need to know how much room to leave for the roots.

Any information will be gratefully received!

David

Hi David,
The major concern would be the spacing. They will grow to 6' to 8' wide or more, so space them accordingly.
http://www.millernursery.com/evergre...diaHicksii.htm

I'd say to make the boxes at least 3' deep or more.
Newt
__________________
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:46 PM
WPB

Many thanks! I looked everywhere on the internet and in the few gardening
books I had, but it's a very specific question. I'm grateful for your
expertise!

http://tinyurl.com/96zpm

Old 06-05-2005, 04:08 AM
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPB
Many thanks! I looked everywhere on the internet and in the few gardening books I had, but it's a very specific question. I'm grateful for your expertise!

David

Hi David,
The major concern would be the spacing. They will grow to 6' to 8'wide or more, so space them accordingly.
http://tinyurl.com/96zpm

I'd say to make the boxes at least 3' deep or more.
Newt
David, you are very welcome. I meant to tell you that yews have extensive root systems when they mature, so try and make your box without a bottom so the roots can grow into the native soil.

Newt