GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Daffodil Rot (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/93565-daffodil-rot.html)

[email protected] 05-05-2005 12:31 PM

Daffodil Rot

Hello,
Quick question to anyone that can share some information
concerning daffodils.
I have alot of Daffodils that look like carnations when they
open. However they never open. They bud, then the buds dry up and
rot.
Anyone have any ideals on this matter ?? Causes, etc.

Thanks in advance,,,,,,,,,,,Steve

Ol' Duffer 05-05-2005 01:08 PM

This is called "blasting", and I've had scads of them. They
are "doubles" (maybe quadraploid or hexaploid, I'm not sure).
Some years they do fair, other years poor. My theory is that
all the extra surface area in the flower greatly increases
evaporation, and hot dry weather bakes them out real fast,
but a cool wet Spring may put on a good show. You could try
putting them somewhere that gets shade in the hot midday, but
my current MO is to dispose of anything that doesn't do well
in the local climate. There are newer double varieties that
bloom better, you probably have one of the old poor ones.

I say dig 'em and try something else. If you like daffs,
there are plenty of better varieties available.
Rick, NW OH

In article . com,
says...