Old 08-05-2005, 02:49 AM
MrPepper11

Default Husband blames dog for cutting wife's head off with chainsaw

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_obje...name_page.html

HUSBAND BLAMES DOG FOR CUTTING WIFE'S HEAD OFF
Pup leapt up as I used chainsaw
By Tom Parry

A WEEPING husband told yesterday how he decapitated his wife with a
chainsaw as he fell from a ladder after their puppy jumped up at her.

Pauline Pudney's head was almost completely severed when the teeth of
the machine, which was still running, dug into her neck.

Husband Roland, 56, said his wife - a retired council safety officer -
played with their year-old golden retriever while helping him prune
trees in their garden with the electric saw.

He said: "As she walked up to the ladder she picked up a golf ball
because of the dog.

"He was excited. She threw it down the garden.

"Then she turned around and held the ladder. I stopped because I needed
to change position. I just heard a bang and the next thing I remember I
was lying on the ground.

"The saw wasn't in my hand. I didn't realise at first. I just looked to
the right. She was lying there I could see blood. She wasn't moving."

Mr Pudney, a retired company director, said neighbours rushed to help
his 57-year-old wife as he screamed for help. An ambulance was called
but Mr Pudney told an inquest: "I knew she was dead."

Next day he looked at the spot and realised what must have happened.
"The golf ball was where Pauline had been lying, so the dog must have
brought it back before Pauline fell.

"She had her back to him and he couldn't bark - he used to jump up at
people to get attention. He must have gone and got it, come back and
jumped up at the ladder."

The couple, who had two sons at university, had been married 30 years
and planned to move to the countryside and breed golden retrievers.

Mr Pudney said: "She was very special. I loved her and she loved me."

Daniel Clark, next door neighbour in Eltham, South East London, heard
Mr Pudney scream and climbed the fence into their garden.

He said: "I saw Mrs Pudney lying on her back. Roland was lying on top
of her and had his hands over her neck. There was blood oozing from his
hands.

"Mrs Pudney was completely inert, she was not breathing. I said to
myself 'That lady's gone'."

He put his T-shirt over the wound. "I said to Roland, 'Look, we've got
to stop this bleeding'. It was something to give him hope."

A postmortem found the cause of death was "partial transection of the
neck", the inquest in Southwark heard.

Coroner John Sampson said: "This was clearly a very bizarre and tragic
accident." Verdict: accident.

Old 08-05-2005, 11:28 PM
Al Bundy

It never hurts to be reminded of safety. Nobody should be on an
unstable ladder with a chainsaw. Everybody should be paying complete
attention including those on the ground. The dog should have been
penned during this work.
Years ago I had to jump from a ladder while topping a tree for removal.
I pitched the saw away and landed safely. Those on the ground were
attentive and stood clear. By the time folks reach their late 50's they
should have the accidents behind them and really concentrate on staying
within their limits.

Old 09-05-2005, 07:48 PM
Doug Kanter

"MrPepper11" wrote in message
oups.com...
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_obje...name_page.html

HUSBAND BLAMES DOG FOR CUTTING WIFE'S HEAD OFF

That's what you get for owning a dog. Bad karma.

Old 09-05-2005, 09:29 PM
krw

In article ,
says...
"MrPepper11" wrote in message
oups.com...
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_obje...name_page.html

HUSBAND BLAMES DOG FOR CUTTING WIFE'S HEAD OFF

That's what you get for owning a dog. Bad karma.

Bad dogma, BAD!

--
Keith
Old 10-05-2005, 12:20 AM
Sionnach

"Al Bundy" wrote:

Nobody should be on an
unstable ladder with a chainsaw. Everybody should be paying complete
attention including those on the ground. The dog should have been
penned during this work.

While I feel sorry for the husband in this case, I have to agree.
I can think of few things more boneheaded than simultaneously playing fetch
with a poorly trained large dog and being in the vicinity of a running
chainsaw....

Old 10-05-2005, 02:21 AM
Doug Kanter

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Sionnach" contains these words:

"Al Bundy" wrote:

Nobody should be on an
unstable ladder with a chainsaw. Everybody should be paying complete
attention including those on the ground. The dog should have been
penned during this work.

While I feel sorry for the husband in this case, I have to agree.
I can think of few things more boneheaded than simultaneously playing
fetch
with a poorly trained large dog and being in the vicinity of a running
chainsaw....

. In the UK, those electric saws are subject to safety regulations.
They're designed to only operate while the operator continuously
depresses a little lever. As soon as he dropped it, the power would
have cut off, the chain brake comes on , it would stop running right
away.

So it's a bit hard to understand why a dropped saw was still sawing when
it reached his wife's neck and decapitated her.

This is America, where playing golf with the right legislators gives
companies the right (sometimes called "god-given") to design and sell
obscenely unsafe products. It's a system, and we like it that way. :-)

Old 10-05-2005, 09:28 AM
presley

It might have had something to do with the $300,000 life insurance policy he
took out on her the week before.
(Just kidding).
"Janet Baraclough" wrote
So it's a bit hard to understand why a dropped saw was still sawing when
it reached his wife's neck and decapitated her.

Janet

Old 10-05-2005, 03:52 PM
Doug Kanter

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Doug Kanter" contains these words:

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message

. In the UK, those electric saws are subject to safety regulations.
They're designed to only operate while the operator continuously
depresses a little lever. As soon as he dropped it, the power would
have cut off, the chain brake comes on , it would stop running right
away.

So it's a bit hard to understand why a dropped saw was still sawing
when
it reached his wife's neck and decapitated her.

This is America, where playing golf with the right legislators gives
companies the right (sometimes called "god-given") to design and sell
obscenely unsafe products. It's a system, and we like it that way. :-)

Mmm. However, the accident being discussed was reported to have
happened in the UK.

Janet

So? Don't MPs sleep with corporate hogs in the UK, too?

Old 11-05-2005, 05:00 PM
Treedweller

On 8 May 2005 14:28:40 -0700, "Al Bundy"
wrote:

It never hurts to be reminded of safety. Nobody should be on an
unstable ladder with a chainsaw. Everybody should be paying complete
attention including those on the ground. The dog should have been
penned during this work.
Years ago I had to jump from a ladder while topping a tree for removal.
I pitched the saw away and landed safely. Those on the ground were
attentive and stood clear. By the time folks reach their late 50's they
should have the accidents behind them and really concentrate on staying
within their limits.

It never hurts to be reminded of safety. Nobody should be on a ladder
in a tree. Learn to tie in or hire a professional. Ladders are
unstable and trees are unpredictable (and often amateurs don't see
perfectly predictable results coming). You should never put yourself
in a position where you might have to jump from a ladder while
removing a tree.

Keith Babberney