Old 10-05-2005, 01:41 AM
Eco

Default OT/ Mycorrhizal Fungus Isolation

I would like to know - how can I create my own mycorrrhizal
(root fungus) concentrate or isolate?

Also, how specific are they to specific plants or soils?

Eco

Old 12-05-2005, 02:52 AM
Mike LaMana

Not an easy question...what plant(s) are you wanting to do this for??

--
Mike LaMana, MS, CTE
NJDEP Approved Forester

Old 12-05-2005, 11:49 AM
Eco

Sorry for being ignorant, but does that matter?
I mean, aren't there generically "good" micorrhizal fungi?
What is the procedure?

Eco

Old 12-05-2005, 05:13 PM
Mike LaMana

Exactly...and to carry your example forward things in the blue berry family
(Ericaceae) have mycorrhizae that are notoriously specific, obligate, and
difficult to culture. But if the OP is looking for a generalist, feel-good
addition to the plant or soil matrix, opt for the old standard - Pisolithus
tinctorius.
My view of this, however, is that plants generally are already colonized by
such fungi and the addition to existing plants may be unnecessary.

--
Mike LaMana, MS, CTE
NJDEP Approved Forester
ASCA Reg. Consulting Arborist #425
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC
Toms River, NJ
www.HeartwoodConsulting.net

"escape" wrote in message
It matters because not all plants use mycorrhizae fungi to assimilate
nutrients
and water from soil. It's basically host specific and a variety of
different
fungal threads usually act in unison to help plants which normally have
trouble
with their poor root systems. Blueberries and roses are just one example
of two
plants, same family, which have poor root systems.

On Thu, 12 May 2005 11:49:03 +0200, "Eco"
opined: