GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Question ref Planting Bermuda Seeds in the South (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/93975-question-ref-planting-bermuda-seeds-south.html)

[email protected] 12-05-2005 11:38 PM

Question ref Planting Bermuda Seeds in the South

I live in Georgia and planted some Bermuda seeds in some bare spaces in
my lawn. In a day or so, all of this grass popped up where I had plated
the seeds. It appears to be crabgrass. I didn't have it before. Can
someone explain to me why planting the seeds brought this about?

fran 13-05-2005 02:32 AM

If you disturbed the soil before putting the seed down, you may have
made the conditions ideal for crabgrass germination.

[email protected] 14-05-2005 09:05 PM

so what can I do now? I plan to add some crabgrass killer. I don't see
how I'll ever get the bermuda to grow there.

fran 15-05-2005 09:56 PM

It'll grow there - it'll come in from the sides. Crabgrass preventer
usually only works before seed germination, so it's a bit late this
year. I'd put it down in early March next year, pull out the
established plants this year.

If you want the spot covered until fall, which is when I put seed
down, use annual rye. It comes up fast and only lasts until frost.

SedumQueen 16-05-2005 09:24 PM

We put down some topsoil and sod and now have crabcrass coming in on
the edges where we had topsoil but no sod. Use some crabgrass killer
concentrate in a sprayer that contains MSMA. That will get rid of it
after 1 or 2 applications.