Old 13-05-2005, 02:30 PM
Registered User

Location: Michigan
Question Newbie & a question about leaf mold??

Hell everyone, I just found this board and have a question for you already.

I have lots of leaves on the ground from last year, can I still put them in bags and make leaf mold?? Would it be of good quality? Or would I be waisting my time?
Old 13-05-2005, 05:21 PM
simy1

yes, yes and no.

Old 13-05-2005, 11:35 PM
Registered User

Location: Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by simy1
yes, yes and no.
Thank you so much for the answer. Now if the weather gets nice enough to get outside! Shouldn't complain, we need the rain.

AND, I ment "HELLO" in my first message!!
Old 14-05-2005, 01:12 AM
David Bockman

NanD1065 wrote in
:

Hell everyone, I just found this board and have a question for you
already.

I have lots of leaves on the ground from last year, can I still put
them in bags and make leaf mold?? Would it be of good quality? Or would
I be waisting my time?

Yes, leaf mold (composted leaves, rotted leaves, mulched leaves, it's all
the same thing). IHMO, oak leaves make the best leaf mold.

Ye Olde Rotted Oak Læƒ

Find a stand of oak trees under which a thick layer of last years' leaves
have fallen. I like to simply suck up several trash bags full using a
lawnmower with bag attached. (Have a snappy comeback for passersby
inquiring, "Why are you mowing the forest?") Depending upon the mower, you
may have to dump the bag and suck them up again to get the leaf particles
suitably shredded. Dump the now shredded oak leaves into black plastic
garbage bags. If the leaves are dry, spray water into the bag until they're
moderately damp. Tie off the bag, and poke several tens of holes into it (I
just use my car key or chopstick). Place the bags where they will receive
all day sunlight. Every once in awhile, give the bags a good swift kick!

In six to ten weeks, you will have lovely dark rotted oak leaf.

email:
http://beyondgardening.com/Albums
Old 14-05-2005, 11:43 PM
Registered User

Location: Michigan

Thank you David! I will get these in bags as soon as the rain stops!! We needed rain, but now it could stop for a week or so!! I do have a few oak, but this is mainly Maple. I'll have to find more Oak trees. Think there are some out in our woods. Going mushroom hunting in the morning so will look for some.