Old 13-05-2005, 10:21 PM
Newsgroups

Default Emerald Green Arborvitae

I live in New York and I just bought 8 Emerald Green Arborvitaes to
plant on the South side of my house. I was wondering if someone can
tell me and let me know the best way to plant them. It indicates that
they grow to 15 ft and 3 feet wide but doesn't give much more
information. Is there a special type of soil that would be best???????
I live near the beach and was wondering if there is anything special I
should do. Any help on planting these would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Newbie at planting.

Old 13-05-2005, 11:25 PM
paghat

In article . com,
"Newsgroups" wrote:

I live in New York and I just bought 8 Emerald Green Arborvitaes to
plant on the South side of my house. I was wondering if someone can
tell me and let me know the best way to plant them. It indicates that
they grow to 15 ft and 3 feet wide but doesn't give much more
information. Is there a special type of soil that would be best???????
I live near the beach and was wondering if there is anything special I
should do. Any help on planting these would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Newbie at planting.

Arborvitae can be salt intolerant so if "by the beech" you mean you're
planting them in the way of salt air spray, you may have trouble with
them. But if it's a freshwater beech, or if others in your neighborhood
have grown arborvitae successfully, probably it'll be okay.

Sizes given on nursery tags are generally the ten-year size, not
necessarily the maximum size, though 'Smaragd' aka 'Emerald Green' is one
of the smaller upright arborvitaes.

Except for not liking salty soils near oceans or bays, they are not fussy
about their soil. To get them started you should dig them holes much
larger than the rootballs (at least three times wider than each rootball,
more if your digging energy holds out) & mix into all that soil a third
again as much organic compost, & don't tamp the soil too tight when done.
They should be planted slightly higher than the undug surrounding soil,
which the addition of the compost will effect.

They want full sun, excellent drainage, & for the first couple years they
should not experience any droughtiness whatsoever, so you'll need to get
some water out to them -- when well-rooted & established they can survive
being ignored though 'Smaragd/Emerald Green' is never terribly drought
tolerant.

If you don't see any healthy old arborvitae in your immediate area, that
could well mean salt does them in. If so, it might not be too late to
return them to the nursery & use the credit to get salt-tolerant trees;
it'll save some disappointment. There are upright Chinese juniper
cultivars that would fit most of the criteria that must've led you to an
arborvitae, but with salt tolerance into the bargain. But the most
salt-tolerant trees tend not to be evergreens.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html
Old 14-05-2005, 02:18 AM
Newsgroups

Hi paghat the ratgirl ,
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I live about a 2
blocks off the beach. I have seen some in my area and one of my
neighbors have them. So, hopefully they'll do OK. Your response is
greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Old 14-05-2005, 02:18 AM
Jack

If you have deer, I wouldn't plant them. Just from experience in my yard.
They practically ate them to the trunk.

"paghat" wrote in message
news

Old 14-05-2005, 02:29 AM
Vox Humana

"Newsgroups" wrote in message
ups.com...
I live in New York and I just bought 8 Emerald Green Arborvitaes to
plant on the South side of my house. I was wondering if someone can
tell me and let me know the best way to plant them. It indicates that
they grow to 15 ft and 3 feet wide but doesn't give much more
information. Is there a special type of soil that would be best???????
I live near the beach and was wondering if there is anything special I
should do. Any help on planting these would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

In addition to what Paghat said, I would just note that if you are in zone 5
in NY, they may be marginally hearty. They tend to turn bronze if the
winter is too cold. I see people buying them by the cart load now at places
like Costco because they are sold as a quick growing, nearly instant privacy
screen that can grow about anywhere and are deer resistant. It seems that
they either thrive or die a slow death. Do keep the receipt in a safe place
if there is a guarantee. I see loads of dead arborvitae in the return
section of garden centers and Costco.

As far as planting them, I wouldn't get carried away with amending the soil
but do excavate a big hole. If they are going to be planted in a row, you
might consider having someone excavate a trench. For eight plants, you will
need a trench about 30 feet long and as deep as the rootball. That could be
a lot of work unless you are blessed with excellent soil as opposed to heavy
clay like I have.

Old 20-05-2005, 02:29 AM
Newsgroups

Thanks you all for taking the time to respond. They're planted but now
I fear that they won't survive the Winter.
I live in Long Island, New York. I do see some in the area that is
doing fine. Is there something I can do before the winter to keep them
going? Now I'm concerned.