Old 17-05-2005, 03:03 AM

Default Marsh Marigold infestation

Hi!

Our property in Pennsylvania has been overrun with these guys. It
started 5 years ago in clumps in the Pachysandria surround the edges
and around trees and has now progressed dramatically into the lawn and
had killed large areas of lawn. After it dies off as it is now in late
May after 2 weeks of strong sun, it leaves only small clumps of grass
behind. Raking up the dead leaves and stems leaves the seeds behind by
the millions. This stuff must go!

How do I get rid of it without killing the Pachysandria and also gaing
control of my lawn??

Thanks for any help!

Mike

Old 21-05-2005, 12:07 AM
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Hi!

Our property in Pennsylvania has been overrun with these guys. It
started 5 years ago in clumps in the Pachysandria surround the edges
and around trees and has now progressed dramatically into the lawn and
had killed large areas of lawn. After it dies off as it is now in late
May after 2 weeks of strong sun, it leaves only small clumps of grass
behind. Raking up the dead leaves and stems leaves the seeds behind by
the millions. This stuff must go!

How do I get rid of it without killing the Pachysandria and also gaing
control of my lawn??

Thanks for any help!

Mike

Hi MJM,

Is there any way you can let the soil dry out when they are dormant? That seems to kill lots of them off. Another thing to do would be to either pull them when you see them or spray with horticultural vinegar when they are in active growth and before they go to seed.
http://www.wiseacre-gardens.com/plan...hmarigold.html

They also like an acid soil, so maybe adding some lime to the areas where they are growing would help and not harm anything else. You can also dig the roots when they're dormant.
http://www.rook.org/earl/bwca/nature...calthapal.html

You should find this an interesting read. Maybe what you have is not marsh marigold but Lesser celandine.
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...457405706.html

Newt
__________________
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.
Old 22-05-2005, 03:48 PM
MichaelJ

Thank you Thank you!!! The lime is a great idea. I will have to wait
until next spring for the vinegar idea!
Drying the soil is not possible, it is a acre property, Pachy borders
all around with many planting beds, lots of trees and shade.

Thanks again,

Mike

[IMG] code is On

marsh marigold blooming kathy[_3_] Ponds (moderated) 4 11-04-2008 05:57 PM
Follow-up for Marsh Marigolds (for ~jan) Everwyrd Ponds 1 12-04-2004 04:03 AM
Marsh marigold division Everwyrd Ponds 0 10-04-2004 06:04 AM
Marsh Marigolds - WAYYY too many! MichaelJ Gardening 0 15-05-2003 01:20 AM