GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Million Bells(Calibrachoa) question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/94217-million-bells-calibrachoa-question.html)

rosemarie face 17-05-2005 06:24 AM

Million Bells(Calibrachoa) question

Hi everyone !
I purchased some Million Bells at a nursery . The look a little leggy .
I was wondering if they can be cut back ? I got six plants for two
hanging baskets (10 in) . Is that too many ? Anything else I should know
about their care ?
I've never had them before .
Thanks ! Rosie z5

Newt 20-05-2005 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosemarie face
Hi everyone !
I purchased some Million Bells at a nursery . The look a little leggy. I was wondering if they can be cut back? I got six plants for two hanging baskets (10 in). Is that too many? Anything else I should know about their care? I've never had them before.
Thanks ! Rosie z5

Hi Rosie,

You can pinch them to make them fuller if you like. From this site:
http://www.ecke.com/datasheets/ff_ffx_pcal.html
"Pinching

* Pinch out growing tip 1-2 weeks after transplanting.
* Fast crop no pinching required.
* Light pruning to shape plants or correct for stretch can be done at any time but will delay flowering by 3-5 weeks."

You don't say what size pots you have, but I put 3 in a tapered concrete planter last year that is 12" high and 14" wide at the top and had a lovely full display that I never pinched back.
http://www.denverplants.com/ezine/7_03.htm

Newt