GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Question/Recommendation For Small Evergreen (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/94274-question-recommendation-small-evergreen.html)

[email protected] 18-05-2005 02:35 PM

Question/Recommendation For Small Evergreen

I'm looking to plant an evergreen by my front steps. The space is 3' by
4' and is surrounded by cement sidewalk on two sides and a chimney on
one side. I'd like to get something that I can prune, and it's a plus
if it doesn't grow fast. In any case, I don't want the tree going much
higher than six feet. Two trees that I am considering are an Alberta
Spruce and Arborvitae. Can either or both be pruned? I appreciate any
advice and recommendations. Thanks in advance.

David Bockman 18-05-2005 03:18 PM

wrote in
ups.com:

I'm looking to plant an evergreen by my front steps. The space is 3' by
4' and is surrounded by cement sidewalk on two sides and a chimney on
one side. I'd like to get something that I can prune, and it's a plus
if it doesn't grow fast. In any case, I don't want the tree going much
higher than six feet. Two trees that I am considering are an Alberta
Spruce and Arborvitae. Can either or both be pruned? I appreciate any
advice and recommendations. Thanks in advance.

Presuming your climate and exposure are suitable, Cryptomeria japonica
'Black Dragon' is a lovely little conifer.

Neither of the trees you mention take shearing very well. The spruce also
would suffer in such alkaline conditions unless you amended regularly with
an acidifying agent.

Another possibility would be a Yew, which are very amendable to pruning, or
a broadleaved evergreen.

email:

http://beyondgardening.com/Albums

[email protected] 18-05-2005 04:14 PM

I suppose my location IS a pretty important piece of information. I
live in Connecticut. About 5 miles from Long Island Sound. I recently
tested the Ph level of my soil, and it registered between 6.5 and 7. I
used a home test kit, so I don't know how reliable they are.