Old 18-05-2005, 04:39 PM
paghat

Default Bad mail order company...buyer beware

Howdy Richard.
I think you should be specific. WHY are you so peevish against this
Winchester Indiana company? Generic "warnings" from a chap who has no
posting history could for all we can tell be nothing but a disgruntled
ex-employee & don't automatically carry a lot of weight, but if you've
something specific I'm sure anyone who might be interested in Rich Farm
Garden's products would appreciate being warned off. You can't be sued for
slander if you're telling the truth, so no reason to hide.

If it's so important to you to warn people away from them, why code it for
no-archive? Will the warning no longer apply two weeks from now? I've
included the whole post sans no-archive code below, for archive purposes.

Since I didn't know if you were a reliable witness or not, I did a couple
on-line searches of my own. If the company had been highly rated elsewhere
I wanted to find out. But as it turns out, your warning looks entirely
sustainable.

Their website does make them look a bit white trash posting amateurish
snapshots of their grossly cluttered cruddy uninteresting barn as a wacky
symbol of company pride -- if that's where they store the seeds they sell
I'd worry about contamination -- that whole "barn tour" thing makes them
look a bit nutty since it gives the impression that they're not a real
business at all. Personally I wouldn't've trusted them just on the basis
of their website being so damned ugly.

You're right that the Indiana Better Business Bureau doesn't think highly
of them, though I wonder why you didn't yourself post the link or quote
the BBB to help substantiate your own credibility:

"Based on BBB files, this company has an unsatisfactory record with the
Bureau due to unanswered complaints. The Bureau has requested basic
information from this company. The company has declined to provide this
information. Without this, the Bureau may not have current information
concerning such things as the company's management or its nature of
business."

BBB also notes "We are currently attempting to develop information on this
company." So I trust you've sent something rather more specific to
to help fill out their file -- you shouldn't complain to
them anonymously though.

Rich Farm Gardens has no complaints at the very useful Garden Watchdog at
davesgarden.com, except one person who felt their prices were too high for
seeds (but bought them anyway so I guess theprice was not TOO too high).
Garden Watchdog is a good source of this kind of information, but
customers can't file praise OR complaints if the company actually has no
customers.

Gardenweb.com has one complaint in the Forums: "I placed an order with
them early in January. They never came. I emailed them in March and they
responded telling me my seeds would be shipped in March. I never received
any. I have emailed them twice since then politely asking when my seeds
would be shipped and have not received any response."

-paghat the ratgirl

From: Richard
Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Subject: Bad mail order company...buyer beware
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 06:15:30 -0700
http://www.nntpcache.org/)

A mail order company that everyone should be aware of here, and not
use. That company is http://www.richfarmgarden.com

I know several people who have lost money to this company already.
You can read about them also, with a negative rating, on the Indiana
Better Business Bureau website.

Richard
--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html
Old 19-05-2005, 01:07 AM
Warren

Richard wrote:
I myself have ordered from them, and lost $36. Never received the
plants, never received my money back. They took the funds out on my
credit card but never put it back.

You lost $36? Didn't you dispute the charge with your credit card issuer? If
you did, why did the card issuer not reverse the charge?

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Find Black and Decker Landscaping Equipment. Get a Hog:
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/blac...ker/index.html

Old 19-05-2005, 01:27 AM
Travis

Richard wrote:
I myself have ordered from them, and lost $36. Never received the
plants, never received my money back. They took the funds out on
my credit card but never put it back. I'm on may garden lists and
forums. In 6 months I've seen 4 other complaints. I cannot help it
that the other person's did not choose to file a complaint with the
BBS or deal with it.

Look, I'm just trying to warn people. I really don't care whether
you believe me or not. That is your choice. Go ahead order from
them. See what happens. But don't say I didn't warn you.

So you put the charge in dispute and got your money back right?

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 21-05-2005, 11:50 PM
Priscilla Ballou

In article ,
Richard wrote:

Yes, of course I did, and they have put the money back in my account.
But that is not what I was complaining about. I was complaining about
the service provided by this company.

Yes, but you said you "lost $36." Sounds like you lost temporary use of
it, not the money itself. Just pointing out the clarification, not
saying you didn't go through a lot of agravation while they were using
your money.

Priscilla
--
"Inside every older person is a younger person -- wondering what
the hell happened." -- Cora Harvey Armstrong
Old 22-05-2005, 03:46 PM
Hemmaholic

I'm a back yard Hybridizer of Daylilies (Hemmerocallis) so that is the
one area I scoped out and frankly, I wasn't impressed by what they
have, and more than a little disturbed by the prices! ICE CARNIVAL a
"rare find"? And whats' with selling the common "Ditch Lily" for
$10.00 for a #1 field grown plant? Nothing stated in the description
about this plant being highly invasive! And what is a "#1 field grown
plant"? How many fans is that? Will it bloom this season?

I recently sold a five fan clump of ICE CARNIVAL on auction and was
doing good to get $5.50 for it!

This isn't a place I'd buy from, at least not mail order, but I might
like to go see the operation, could be very educational!

Hemma

Old 24-05-2005, 07:59 PM
Priscilla Ballou

In article ,
Richard wrote:

Priscilla,

Rich Farm did not give me my money back. It was the "Visa" program
that reimbursed my money.

Yes, but not being out $36 means you didn't "lose" it.

On Sat, 21 May 2005 22:50:58 GMT, Priscilla Ballou

Old 25-05-2005, 12:26 AM
paghat

In article , Priscilla
Ballou wrote:

In article ,
Richard wrote:

Priscilla,

Rich Farm did not give me my money back. It was the "Visa" program
that reimbursed my money.

Yes, but not being out $36 means you didn't "lose" it.

It's always a good idea to purchase mail order with a credit card that
protects the buyer from crooks. If that protection works, the crooks are
still crooks.

So Richard definitely lost $36 to the bad mail order company. What the
credit card company did afterward doesn't change the fact that he lost $36
to the bad mail order company. Just like if a doctor stiched up your rear
end after you got a stab wound you got from a thug (or from a frustrated
individual you kept arguing with irrationally). The thug or individual DID
still stab you whether or not it got fixed up & healed; the doctor didn't
change history by saving your ass.

But do go ahead & post for the umpteenth time that he waddn't either.

-paghat the ratgirl

On Sat, 21 May 2005 22:50:58 GMT, Priscilla Ballou