Old 19-05-2005, 11:50 AM
Kevin

Default repair hollow area

I removed a 10 inch limb 9 years ago from a 40 inch diameter silver
maple, taking care not to damage the branch collar. The cut seems to
closing in and healing okay, there is only about a 4 inch hole left and
will be closed over in the next year. The problem is that over the
last few years, there is a hollow area developing behind the cut, it's
about 10 inches back and 18 inches down behind the cut.

I'm concerned the hollow area will weaken the tree or allow disease, if
it hasnt already. The rest of the tree seems fine. I've seen trees
where folks have filled in hollow areas with concrete. Is there
something that should be done to fill in this hollow area, or should it
be left alone.

Old 19-05-2005, 08:46 PM
Travis

Kevin wrote:
I removed a 10 inch limb 9 years ago from a 40 inch diameter silver
maple, taking care not to damage the branch collar. The cut seems
to closing in and healing okay, there is only about a 4 inch hole
left and will be closed over in the next year. The problem is that
over the last few years, there is a hollow area developing behind
the cut, it's about 10 inches back and 18 inches down behind the
cut.

I'm concerned the hollow area will weaken the tree or allow
disease, if it hasnt already. The rest of the tree seems fine.
I've seen trees where folks have filled in hollow areas with
concrete. Is there something that should be done to fill in this
hollow area, or should it be left alone.

Leave it alone.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5
Old 20-05-2005, 04:32 AM
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
Kevin wrote:
I removed a 10 inch limb 9 years ago from a 40 inch diameter silver maple, taking care not to damage the branch collar. The cut seems to closing in and healing okay, there is only about a 4 inch hole left and will be closed over in the next year. The problem is that over the last few years, there is a hollow area developing behind the cut, it's about 10 inches back and 18 inches down behind the cut.

I'm concerned the hollow area will weaken the tree or allow disease, if it hasnt already. The rest of the tree seems fine.
I've seen trees where folks have filled in hollow areas with concrete. Is there something that should be done to fill in this hollow area, or should it be left alone.

Leave it alone.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5
I'm with Travis. Leave it alone.
Newt
__________________
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.
Old 20-05-2005, 03:02 PM
Mike LaMana

I am with Travis and Newt. Leave it alone.

--
Mike LaMana, MS, CTE
NJDEP Approved Forester

Old 21-05-2005, 12:36 PM
Kevin

thanks for the info --

I'm new to tree physiology -- what becomes of the hollow area ? once
the cut closes over does the hollow area fill itself in?

Old 21-05-2005, 03:40 PM
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin
thanks for the info --

I'm new to tree physiology -- what becomes of the hollow area ? once the cut closes over does the hollow area fill itself in?
Sometimes yes and sometimes no. Take a look here at picture #62.
http://imageevent.com/mdvaden/treere...7zh1.buffalo_s

You might also find this interesting.
http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/ho...haz/ht_haz.htm

Newt
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

[IMG] code is On

Looking for recommendation on lawnmower repair in Wake Forest area. [email protected] North Carolina 4 04-04-2007 12:21 PM
Hollow Tine Aerator BD United Kingdom 8 21-04-2004 12:10 AM
Thank you Pat Kiewicz!!! (was: San Marzanos hollow?) Phaedrine Stonebridge Edible Gardening 0 19-07-2003 06:12 PM
San Marzanos hollow? Phaedrine Stonebridge Edible Gardening 6 19-07-2003 12:42 PM
shrub to fit dark hollow? miss calm United Kingdom 0 24-01-2003 10:19 PM