Old 20-05-2005, 05:03 PM

Default Any Good Web Site To Narrow Down Plants Selection By Plant Characteristics?

I would like to know if there is any good web site that I can use to
narrow down selection of plants by various plant-characteristics.

I have a couple gardening books that have a list of plants described in
good details. But they are all sorted by their Latin names. I would
prefer that I can have an option to filter the list of plants and then
sort the list by various criteria from the most important to the least.

The kind of plant characteristics that I would like to be able to query
on a
- Annual, perennial, or biannual
- Zone requirement
- Sun requirement
- Water requirement
- Soil requirement
- Height and width
- Shape of the plant
- Flower color
- Blooming season
....etc

Any suggestion? Thanks.

Jay Chan

Old 20-05-2005, 09:49 PM
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by
[...]

Hi Jay,

You don't say where you live so a couple of these may not fit your hardiness zone if you are in the US. Here's what I have.
http://www.hort.uconn.edu:591/search.html
http://bestplants.chicago-botanic.org/query_simple.htm
http://www.perennials.com/
http://www.jdvservices.com/Vgardens/plantindex.html
http://www.main.nc.us/naturenotebook/plantindex.html
http://www.epicplants.com/enter.html
http://hcs.osu.edu/plantfacts/Plant/
http://www.qualitygroundcovers.com/specific.htm
http://www.pfaf.org/leaflets/habitats.php

These are just to look at color:
http://www.ct-botanical-society.org/...leryindex.html
http://www.colorwithplants.com/main.htm

Limited selection of plants, but if you're in a colder zone of 4 to 1 it could be helpful.
http://www.homestore.com/HomeGarden/...?poe=homestore

Newt
__________________
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.
Old 21-05-2005, 01:12 AM
hollenback

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

The only one I know of is at:
http://www.bambooweb.info/SSL.php
but it only lists bamboos.

Bill

Old 23-05-2005, 04:32 PM

That web site is quite useful for selecting the right bamboo. I am
hoping that there will be web sites similar to this and have a broader
selection of plants than just bamboo.

Old 23-05-2005, 04:38 PM
Vox Humana

wrote in message
ups.com...
That web site is quite useful for selecting the right bamboo. I am
hoping that there will be web sites similar to this and have a broader
selection of plants than just bamboo.

Although not comprehensive, Bluestone Perennials has a search feature on
their website that lets you specify characteristics such as zone, type of
soil, amount of sun, height, bloom time, bloom color, etc. You enter the
filters and it returns plants from their catalog that meet your
specifications. Since they have a good selection of plants, it is a helpful
tool even if you don't intend to buy anything. www.bluestoneperennials.com

Old 23-05-2005, 04:44 PM

Great! This is exactly what I am looking for. I will browse around to
see if I can find anything interesting.

http://tinyurl.com/4dxxq
http://tinyurl.com/5og7r
http://www.perennials.com/
http://tinyurl.com/8mh5k
http://tinyurl.com/c77mo
http://www.epicplants.com/enter.html
http://hcs.osu.edu/plantfacts/Plant/
http://tinyurl.com/aesum
http://tinyurl.com/dwjeq

These are just to look at color:
http://tinyurl.com/783g6
http://www.colorwithplants.com/main.htm

Limited selection of plants, but if you're in a colder zone of 4 to

1
it could be helpful.
http://tinyurl.com/aprxa

Newt

--
Newt

[IMG] code is On

Best site for freelancer work (PHP, Web site, java, oracle sql, php,data entry) arti United Kingdom 0 04-07-2009 03:53 PM
Web site for landscape plant selection? Lawns 4 27-11-2005 09:33 PM
[IBC] Web Site Down ? Mark Hill Bonsai 1 04-11-2003 05:02 AM
[IBC] Vendor links by state on NBF site [Was: [IBC] Web Site Changes] Chris Cochrane Bonsai 0 04-08-2003 03:22 PM
Web hosting for your gardening web site. $1.95 per month Hostronica Web Hosting Gardening 0 01-05-2003 06:56 AM