Old 22-05-2005, 04:46 PM

Default Tree Cauterization

I need to cut two major branches from an african sumac in order to
build a wall around my property. I know that putting "tree tar" on the
wounds afterwards is a bad idea, but what about cauterization with a
blowtorch? I am interested in preventing infection to the tree as well
as discouraging new growth from beginning at the cut points. Thanks in
advance for your opinions.

Old 22-05-2005, 04:59 PM

No and No,
Make the final cut at but not into the branch collar.
Use a pruning technique that removes most all of the branch before you
make the final cut so as not to tear the bark off the tree.

Old 13-09-2018, 10:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

replying to John Bachman, Solid wrote:
Good question. The point is obviously not to start a fire; but similar to a
flesh wound, cauterization can theoretically 'seal' the exposed tree from
infection/infestation. Is it a little dangerous? Of course. But if done
correctly And safety; will it prevent a tree from dying when otherwise it
would have? Unfortunately there is no good data that I am aware of that has
explored this. If you do decide to do this; (obviously be careful) please
report your results.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/garden...ion-37111-.htm