GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   How long for dormant plants to "wake up"? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/94915-how-long-dormant-plants-%22wake-up%22.html)

JC 28-05-2005 09:04 PM

How long for dormant plants to "wake up"?

Hello,

I recently planted some dormant, bare root plants and was wondering,
typically, how long before they begin significant new growth? Most
specifically, I planted bare root peonies and astilbes in mid-May (zone 5,
central New York). Typically how long before they sprout above ground?
What might I expect in the first season for these plants? Looking for
anyone's past experience.

Thanks in advance!

Vox Humana 29-05-2005 01:57 AM

"JC" wrote in message
Hello,

I recently planted some dormant, bare root plants and was wondering,
typically, how long before they begin significant new growth? Most
specifically, I planted bare root peonies and astilbes in mid-May (zone 5,
central New York). Typically how long before they sprout above ground?
What might I expect in the first season for these plants? Looking for
anyone's past experience.

Peonies should be planted about two inches deep - no more. I would expect
to see some growth in about 30 days or so. You won't get much growth this
year. The plant will be establishing itself. It has been my experience
that it will take about three years before you get any decent flowers. You
might get a tiny bud or two next year. The following year you might get one
or two smallish flowers. The following year you might get several decent
flowers. Each year the plant will grow larger and have more flowers. I
planted some very small, bare root plants in the fall about four years ago
and this is the first year that I have had to use supports. They are
starting to open now and are covered with flowers. For good information and
a stunning catalog, take a look at the Klehm's site. They are renown for
their peonies. There is some good information on the site. While their
prices are substantial, their catalog is so beautiful that I would pay for a
copy just for the pleasure of browsing.
http://www.songsparrow.com/default.cfm