GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Help with Orchid needed (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/94932-help-orchid-needed.html)

Ben Tuinman 28-05-2005 10:56 PM

Help with Orchid needed

Our Orchid is in fine shape with an abundance of blooms. However, when these
blooms wilt, will the plant go into dormancy ? For how long ? It has been
suggested that we cut the plant in half. Is this true, and if so, how do I
cut ours since it has a side branch ? I have taken two pictures which may be
seen at http://album.freeprohost.com
Thanks !

William W. Plummer 29-05-2005 08:30 PM

Ben Tuinman wrote:
Our Orchid is in fine shape with an abundance of blooms. However, when these
blooms wilt, will the plant go into dormancy ? For how long ? It has been
suggested that we cut the plant in half. Is this true, and if so, how do I
cut ours since it has a side branch ? I have taken two pictures which may be
seen at http://album.freeprohost.com

Hybrid orchids can bloom twice a year. True strains bloom once a year.

karen 29-05-2005 10:13 PM

William W. Plummer wrote:
Ben Tuinman wrote:
Our Orchid is in fine shape with an abundance of blooms. However, when these
blooms wilt, will the plant go into dormancy ? For how long ? It has been
suggested that we cut the plant in half. Is this true, and if so, how do I
cut ours since it has a side branch ? I have taken two pictures which may be
seen at http://album.freeprohost.com

Hybrid orchids can bloom twice a year. True strains bloom once a year.

I am not the orchid expert at all and wrote here earlier after I got a
"moth orchid" for Valentine's Day. The flowers lasted a week or so and
then dropped. I just left the plant alone and keep it moist in a south
glass brick window. I thought maybe it was going to seed, as something
was forming on the old flower stalks. Turns out they were buds and
it's flowering again now. I am glad that I didn't trim the plant.