GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   composting thatch (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/94965-composting-thatch.html)

bill 29-05-2005 02:55 PM

composting thatch

Rented a power rake yesterday - unbelievable how much thatch was down there.

Is thatch good for composting?

And, in mixing brown & green: on which side would you count thatch?

Thanks,
Bill

David Bockman 29-05-2005 03:52 PM

"bill" wrote in

Rented a power rake yesterday - unbelievable how much thatch was down
there.

Is thatch good for composting?

And, in mixing brown & green: on which side would you count thatch?

Thanks,
Bill

thatch is definetely brown. and I agree, it's always amazing how much comes
up when a lawn has never been dethatched before.

Not to horn in where advice was not asked, but I would recommend
overseeding soon after dethatching-- my experience has been that
dethatching brings to the surface or make sunshine available to zillions of
dormant weed seeds which spring up in the new bare areas. Overseeding will
help crowd out these weed seeds.

email:
http://beyondgardening.com/Albums

[email protected] 01-06-2005 08:54 PM

Not sure if I did thing right or wrong. A couple years ago, I tried to
compost thatch. But after one year of having thatch sitting in a
compost pile that I only turn every two weeks or less (and not enough
water), I found that the thatch was not decomposed at all while the
other things like leaves had decomposed. Consequently, I had to remove
all the thatch from the compost piles (to make room for other stuff).
Now, I am selective with what I put into the compost piles -- no
thatch, no tree branches, no bamboo sticks ... no hard to rot stuff.

I am not saying that you cannot compost thatch. But you may not get the
intended result given the amount of effort that you are willing to put
in, or you may need to intensively turn and water the compost piles.

Jay Chan

Travis 01-06-2005 09:11 PM

bill wrote:
Rented a power rake yesterday - unbelievable how much thatch was
down there.

Is thatch good for composting?

And, in mixing brown & green: on which side would you count
thatch?

Thanks,
Bill

If you run over the thatch with a bagging lawn mower before you put it
in the compost pile you might be more successful.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

[email protected] 02-06-2005 05:12 PM

This may be the key. I didn't run over thatch with a lawn mower because
I thought they were tiny enough. Now I think about this, those thatch
were likely not tiny enough. Hopefully, the OP will find your tip.

Thanks.

Jay Chan