Old 30-05-2005, 09:01 PM
James Black

Default Railroad Ties for Landscaping

Where can I find mitre angles for creating a circular border around
the base of trees? For example, what is the angle cut needed to
create a 7 foot circle, an 8 foot, or 9 foot circle?
Thanks.

Old 30-05-2005, 09:31 PM

James Black wrote:
Where can I find mitre angles for creating a circular border around
the base of trees? For example, what is the angle cut needed to
create a 7 foot circle, an 8 foot, or 9 foot circle?

Thanks.

This isn't what you're asking, but aren't railroad ties treated with
all sorts of nasty wood-preserving chemicals, chemicals that can leach
into the ground water?

Patrick

Old 30-05-2005, 09:47 PM
Warren

James Black wrote:
Where can I find mitre angles for creating a circular border around
the base of trees? For example, what is the angle cut needed to
create a 7 foot circle, an 8 foot, or 9 foot circle?
Thanks.

Hint: The diameter of the "circle" is irrelevant. The number of cuts is
what's relevant.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
What's on TV? See the new fall network schedules online:
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/tele.../fall2005.html

Old 31-05-2005, 05:35 AM
Lynn Coffelt

Where can I find mitre angles for creating a circular border around
the base of trees? For example, what is the angle cut needed to
create a 7 foot circle, an 8 foot, or 9 foot circle?

Per previous poster, depends on how many "sides" the circle will have.
A method that seems like it should work is to remember that the number of
degrees, cut at an angel, in the "n" sided circle must total 180 degrees. In
other words, a four sided circle (grin) would have each cut made at 45
degrees (180 degrees divided by four). An eight sided circle would have 22.5
degree cuts, six sided circle 30 degrees.
I'm not much of a Gardner nor mathematician, but I believe that should
work.

Old Chief Lynn

Old 31-05-2005, 05:57 AM
Dick Adams

Patrick wrote:
James Black wrote:

Where can I find mitre angles for creating a circular border around
the base of trees? For example, what is the angle cut needed to
create a 7 foot circle, an 8 foot, or 9 foot circle?

This isn't what you're asking, but aren't railroad ties treated with
all sorts of nasty wood-preserving chemicals, chemicals that can leach
into the ground water?

That's ok some of us are toxic dumpers.

Dick
Old 31-05-2005, 06:11 AM
omi

"Lynn Coffelt" wrote in message

Where can I find mitre angles for creating a circular border around
the base of trees? For example, what is the angle cut needed to
create a 7 foot circle, an 8 foot, or 9 foot circle?

Per previous poster, depends on how many "sides" the circle will have.
A method that seems like it should work is to remember that the number of
degrees, cut at an angel, in the "n" sided circle must total 180 degrees.
In
other words, a four sided circle (grin) would have each cut made at 45
degrees (180 degrees divided by four). An eight sided circle would have
22.5
degree cuts, six sided circle 30 degrees.
I'm not much of a Gardner nor mathematician, but I believe that should
work.

Old Chief Lynn

I always thought a circle was was defined as a degenerate ellipse with
coincident foci. Sounds more like like a polygon (or octagon) - Most
certainly an over-engineered tree basin. Why not just lay out the ties and
make the beveled cuts where and at the angles requiired to close the
polygon? Olin

Old 31-05-2005, 06:18 AM
Dick Adams

James Black wrote:

Where can I find mitre angles for creating a circular border around
the base of trees? For example, what is the angle cut needed to
create a 7 foot circle, an 8 foot, or 9 foot circle?

I presume the lengths are diameters and you really want a circle and
not an octogon which would be very easy.

Does the inside have to be circular or just the outside? Are you a
master craftsman with a heavy duty router and a router bit the length
of the thickness of a railroad tie?

The real question here is: How many pieces of wood are you prepared
to cut?

Dick
Old 31-05-2005, 07:29 AM
Lynn Coffelt

"omi" wrote in message
[...]

"over-engineered tree basin"? Oh, Olin, are you trying to develop this
promising thread into some kind of practical solution? Where's the sport in
that? (grin)
Old Chief Lynn

Old 31-05-2005, 02:13 PM
Wolf Kirchmeir

James Black wrote:

Where can I find mitre angles for creating a circular border around
the base of trees? For example, what is the angle cut needed to
create a 7 foot circle, an 8 foot, or 9 foot circle?

Thanks.

This isn't what you're asking, but aren't railroad ties treated with
all sorts of nasty wood-preserving chemicals, chemicals that can leach
into the ground water?

Patrick

True, but the rate of leaching is slow, especially if the ties are
treated with creosote. (The danger of creosote has been exaggerated
IMO.) Your state may also have amended regulations so that arsenic is no
longer permitted in pressure treating wood. If no, you may wuish to
avoid such wood, but again, the amount of arsenic leached into the
ground is minimal, especially compared to nastier things dumped outside
by nearby industries, gas stations, etc (and leachates can travel long
distances, so "nearby" may mean tens of miles away.) The remaining
chemicals are mainly copper sulfate and fungicides, neither of which are
cause for alarm (unless you get down on your hands and knees and gnaw on
the wood... :-o).

Besides, there are worse sources of pollution in your neighbourhood,
such as the car in your driveway or the power mower you use.

As for mitre angles -- they don't depend on the diameter of the cirle,
but on the number of pieces you use to make the circle. Divide 360 by
twice number. This will be the mitre angle in degrees on each end of the
tie.

Have fun!

Old 01-06-2005, 12:17 AM
Wolf Kirchmeir

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message

[...]

You'll never get rid of the creosote, and it's messy. I acquired some
ties which had been removed from the railway at least 20 years earlier,
and hadn't been treated since. As soon as hot sun shone on the wood, the
creosote came to the surface..a nuisance if it gets onto hands or
clothes (or carpets, via shoes and pets feet).

Janet

Janet

Oh my, you do have a problem. Must have been fairly fresh ties when you
got them. On the bridge ties that edge my driveway, the creosote doesn't
bubble up, the surface is weathering away sl-o-o-o-o-wly, and moss is
growing out of some of the cracks. I figure there's 20 years left in
them. :-)

Creosote does weather, you just have to be patient. The fact that it
weathers so slowly indicates that its toxins are released very slowly
also - slowly enough that they will degrade (oxidise, usually) before
they accumulate.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:27 PM
Doug Kanter

"Wolf Kirchmeir" wrote in message
.. .

The remaining chemicals are mainly copper sulfate and fungicides, neither
of which are cause for alarm (unless you get down on your hands and knees
and gnaw on the wood... :-o).

Perhaps you should provide more information on the fungicides you're
referring to, and which of them might or might not be safe near edible
plants. The OP may or may not want to stick some chives or parsley or other
stuff in the ground near the treated wood.

Besides, there are worse sources of pollution in your neighbourhood, such
as the car in your driveway or the power mower you use.

Unless you're the kind of slug who lets his car ooze fluids for years on end
without fixing it, you cannot compare engines to fungicides/pesticides in
contact with the soil.

Old 02-06-2005, 01:35 AM
Gary

I propose using only one piece of wood, cut to the circumference of
your circle. (I'm sure _someone, somewhere_ must sell 30-ft. railroad
ties!) You can just use a 90-degree angle on both ends, and then run
it through your railroad tie bender (available from your local home
improvement store for a mere $499.99), and there you have it!

Seriously, I wouldn't be too concerned about an exact angle because the
ties will probably shift over time and something will inevitably grow
up through the cracks anyway! Not exactly like building a picture
frame.
OK, now everyone can flame me for my "rustic" approach.
Gary

Old 02-06-2005, 04:16 AM
Doug Kanter

"Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...
I propose using only one piece of wood, cut to the circumference of
your circle. (I'm sure _someone, somewhere_ must sell 30-ft. railroad
ties!) You can just use a 90-degree angle on both ends, and then run
it through your railroad tie bender (available from your local home
improvement store for a mere $499.99), and there you have it!

Seriously, I wouldn't be too concerned about an exact angle because the
ties will probably shift over time and something will inevitably grow
up through the cracks anyway! Not exactly like building a picture
frame.
OK, now everyone can flame me for my "rustic" approach.
Gary

Your approach is extremely rustic and you are a bad person. :-)

[IMG] code is On

Free railroad ties? Mike Harris Texas 6 20-04-2006 06:25 PM
Filling Cracks In Old Railroad Ties Used As Garden Bordering ? Robert11 Lawns 4 04-04-2006 06:26 PM
Old railroad ties needed Jason Jones North Carolina 3 09-06-2004 06:07 PM
How to Clean Creosote on Railroad Ties James Eick Gardening 5 22-05-2003 07:56 PM
where can one buy new or used railroad ties MFA North Carolina 8 13-05-2003 02:56 AM