GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Pumpkins (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/95358-pumpkins.html)

gman 05-06-2005 03:40 AM

Pumpkins

Whens the ideal month to plant pumpkins so they are ready for
halloween? Start indoors/outdoors?

Pat Kiewicz 05-06-2005 12:39 PM

gman said:

Whens the ideal month to plant pumpkins so they are ready for
halloween? Start indoors/outdoors?

Where I live? Plant seeds outside *right now!* (no earlier than the
last week of May). Watch out for the dreaded squash vine borer.
Harvest ripe pumpkins as late as possible (but before a frost) and
hold them in a cool (but never freezing) area until carving time.

(attributed to Don Marti)

gman 06-06-2005 10:11 AM

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 06:39:59 -0500, (Pat
Kiewicz) wrote:

gman said:

Whens the ideal month to plant pumpkins so they are ready for
halloween? Start indoors/outdoors?

Where I live? Plant seeds outside *right now!* (no earlier than the
last week of May). Watch out for the dreaded squash vine borer.
Harvest ripe pumpkins as late as possible (but before a frost) and
hold them in a cool (but never freezing) area until carving time.

thanks pat. I should have posted a region but not too sure what zone
am in. I live in central california.