GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Help with tree pest (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/95360-re-help-tree-pest.html)

Suzy O 05-06-2005 05:39 AM

Help with tree pest

Looks to be lecanium scale. No sense treating until the crawlers (babies)
emerge from the "shells," then use an ultrafine horticultural oil spray. I
don't know where you live, but if you're familiar with growing degree days,
they usually emerge somewhere between 700-800 GDD. Here in Wisconsin,
that's usually sometime in July.

Good luck!

Suzy, Zone 5, Wisconsin

"freewheel" wrote in message
I just saw these bugs in a plum tree in my garden. They look like tiny,
black, German army helmets. The tree is not doing too well this year,
with a lot of dead branches, and the critters all over. What are they
and how do I get rid of them? Thanks.