GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   What's this black stuff on my grass? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/95384-whats-black-stuff-my-grass.html)

Suzie-Q 05-06-2005 03:14 PM

What's this black stuff on my grass?

This stuff showed up this morning (Sunday, June 5).

http://www.intergnat.com/grass1.jpg
http://www.intergnat.com/grass2.jpg
http://www.intergnat.com/grass3.jpg
http://www.intergnat.com/grass4.jpg --- close up

My lawn is a mix of grasses. There's St. Augustine creeping
over from the neighbor's house, and, as you can see, a lot
of crabgrass and weeds.

I'm in central Texas.

Will it go away? Is it bad? Should I do something?

Thanks in advance.
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://www.suzanne-eckhardt.com/
http://www.intergnat.com/malebashing/
http://www.intergnat.com/pussygames/

Rolling Thunder 09-06-2005 01:08 AM

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 10:13:08 GMT, Suzie-Q
wrote:

- This stuff showed up this morning (Sunday, June 5).
-
- http://www.intergnat.com/grass1.jpg
- http://www.intergnat.com/grass2.jpg
- http://www.intergnat.com/grass3.jpg
- http://www.intergnat.com/grass4.jpg --- close up
-
- My lawn is a mix of grasses. There's St. Augustine creeping
- over from the neighbor's house, and, as you can see, a lot
- of crabgrass and weeds.
-
- I'm in central Texas.
-
- Will it go away? Is it bad? Should I do something?
-
- Thanks in advance.

Looks like slime mold. I can be black or gray.
Usually caused by wet and shady areas.

Look he http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/3000/3074.html

Thunder

Kay Lancaster 09-06-2005 10:42 AM

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 10:13:08 GMT, Suzie-Q wrote:
- This stuff showed up this morning (Sunday, June 5).
-
- http://www.intergnat.com/grass1.jpg
- http://www.intergnat.com/grass2.jpg
- http://www.intergnat.com/grass3.jpg
- http://www.intergnat.com/grass4.jpg --- close up

Best guess from he slime mold fruiting bodies. Not a problem -- you can
hose the area off when the weather's been dry for a couple of days, if you
like. Grass may a bit yellowish underneath, but hasn't been harmed.

They're just moving through...
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/3000/3074.html

Really rather fascinating organisms:
http://www.discoverlife.org/nh/tx/Slime_Molds/