GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Split Bark (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/95415-split-bark.html)

Connecticut 06-06-2005 02:35 AM

Split Bark

I have a Flowering Cherry tree whose bark has split the length of the
trunk.What might cause this and what can I do about it?

[email protected] 06-06-2005 02:21 PM

Do nothing. Or if the bark has ragged parts trim them to be smooth with
a sharp knife.

Vox Humana 06-06-2005 04:38 PM

"Connecticut" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a Flowering Cherry tree whose bark has split the length of the
trunk.What might cause this and what can I do about it?

Small trees are sometimes damaged by a sudden cold snap that causes them to
crack.

Stephen Henning 06-06-2005 10:07 PM

"Connecticut" wrote:

I have a Flowering Cherry tree whose bark has split the length of the
trunk.What might cause this and what can I do about it?

In the spring the sap starts rising in the trunk just before the buds
swell and continues to rise until the flowers and leaves are fully open.
If the trunk freezes while the sap is rising, the sap expands and pops a
split in the bark.
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA Zone 6