GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   free iris in Atlanta area - FREE IRIS (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/95507-free-iris-atlanta-area-free-iris.html)

Sterling 07-06-2005 09:55 PM

free iris in Atlanta area - FREE IRIS

I have been digging up all the iris today and just hate the thought of
putting them in the compost. They are (I think) called German iris,
about knee high, purple, many flowers per stem. Good bloomers, usually
in March.

If you are in this area you know how wet and soggy the weather has been.
It is like a Turkish bath out there right now! These (very crowded)
iris are getting those little mold spots on them and I decided I HAD to
thin them out. Now I have a big pile (100 or so) that I would love to
see someone take. I have cut them into fans (as the spots need to be cut
off) and they are ready to plant.

Everything I read on the web says that as long as the rhizomes are firm
and full (and they are) you just need to trim off the leaves with spots
(which I have done).

http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/74887/ shows a small pix I posted to
this site.

If you are interested, I am in Dunwoody, and you can reach me by email -
you have to decipher this as I really HATE the spam bots - as sterhill
at comcast dot net.

Any takers??

Rolling Thunder 08-06-2005 03:06 PM

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 15:55:14 -0400, Sterling
wrote:

[...]

I wish I had known about this earlier. My son just was in Atlanta
over the weekend. If you could hold on to them a couple more
weeks, I'd come and get 'em. I'm in Charlotte. I couldn't get
them this weekend as my son is getting married Saturday and
relatives are staying over. Post again if you don't get any
other interest.

Thunder

Rolling Thunder 08-06-2005 03:09 PM

wrote:

[...]

In addition, they should keep for a good while. Our iris have moved
from Calif., to Colorado, to Dallas, and now in Charlotte.

Thunder