GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   tin cans (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/95757-tin-cans.html)

[email protected] 12-06-2005 07:33 PM

tin cans

The geraniums we grew last year in 5 litre paint tins were noticeably
superior to those grown in plastic or terra cotta pots.
I wonder whether this is to do with being metal or the fact that they
are straight sided and present less area at the top for evaporation.
Anyone got any thoughts?

David Bockman 12-06-2005 08:09 PM

wrote in
oups.com:

The geraniums we grew last year in 5 litre paint tins were noticeably
superior to those grown in plastic or terra cotta pots.
I wonder whether this is to do with being metal or the fact that they
are straight sided and present less area at the top for evaporation.
Anyone got any thoughts?

Possibly the extra heat conducted by the metal stimulated extra root
growth.

email:

http://beyondgardening.com/Albums

[email protected] 13-06-2005 01:17 PM

Possibly the extra heat conducted by the metal stimulated extra root
growth.

Or maybe they like the faster cooling at night. They certainly need
less watering, so I'm sure it's something to do with moisture
retention.
I'm going to try a straight sided plastic container this year to see if
it's the shape that makes the difference.