GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Gloves? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/95783-gloves.html)

BE 13-06-2005 02:15 AM

Gloves?

Howdy, anyone have any suggestions as to good pair of gloves that would be
resistant to thorns/thickets etc.???

I'll be clearing some heavily overgrown areas in my yard with a gas powered
trimmer that I hope to rent.

Thanks...

Doug Kanter 13-06-2005 04:47 AM

"BE" wrote in message
ink.net...
Howdy, anyone have any suggestions as to good pair of gloves that would be
resistant to thorns/thickets etc.???

I'll be clearing some heavily overgrown areas in my yard with a gas
powered trimmer that I hope to rent.

Thanks...

Yeah...the leather or pigskin ones, or whatever they're made of. They're
sort of a dark orange color. The color will come off on your hands for a
couple of weeks, but after that, they're fine. Some thorns will still get
through, especially if you have to grab certain plants really hard. Long BBQ
tongs can be useful in avoiding that.

Charles 13-06-2005 06:21 AM

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 03:47:33 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

"BE" wrote in message
link.net...
Howdy, anyone have any suggestions as to good pair of gloves that would be
resistant to thorns/thickets etc.???

I'll be clearing some heavily overgrown areas in my yard with a gas
powered trimmer that I hope to rent.

Thanks...

Yeah...the leather or pigskin ones, or whatever they're made of. They're
sort of a dark orange color. The color will come off on your hands for a
couple of weeks, but after that, they're fine. Some thorns will still get
through, especially if you have to grab certain plants really hard. Long BBQ
tongs can be useful in avoiding that.

I agree, pigskin if you can find it. Mine are light tan, I doubt that
color makes a lot of difference.
--
Charles

Does not play well with others.

Sterling 15-06-2005 02:05 AM

Home Depot had some really great gloves - they have a very long cuff
(comes up to your elbow). I bought 2 pair as I like them so much. The
glove part is leather and the 'cuff' part is a very stiff canvas. They
were in a special display in the garden center as opposed to their glove
section.

I agree with the BBQ tongs for any really vicious thorns.

Sterling

Charles wrote:
On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 03:47:33 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

hlink.net...

Hound Dog 15-06-2005 07:37 AM

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
Gloves up to the elbow? What's the temperature been for the last week
where YOU live? :-)

"Sterling" wrote in message

Gloves up to the elbow in hot weather sound a lot more comfortable than
having your hands and forearms scratched apart by rose thorns and other
plant briars in any temperature.

Charles wrote:
On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 03:47:33 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

rthlink.net...

Sterling 16-06-2005 10:53 PM

About 200 degrees here in Atlanta!!! I do most of my cleanup work in the
spring or fall, though.

I like the long gloves for pruning the holly trees and bushes. And if I
have to go after poison ivy, these long gloves are perfect, even at 200
degrees.

Charles wrote:

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 03:47:33 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

rthlink.net...