Old 15-06-2005, 11:10 PM
Ann

"Doug Kanter" expounded:

Would it bother you if your neighbor across the street parked an old car on
his lawn, left it there to rust for 5 years, and for whatever reason, there
was absolutely no way you could block the view using plants, fence, etc?

When I bought my house the next door neighbors basically had a
junkyard in their backyard. Dead washers, dryers, three rusting tin
sheds, a couple junk trucks, all kinds of tires, etc. Oh well. I
loved my house. They've moved on, new people live there now, they've
cleaned it up, life goes on. It's amazing what you can live with when
it really doesn't affect your basic life functions, like eating,
drinking, etc. Of course I'd rather not look at junk, but I'm not
paying their taxes or their mortgage. It's basically none of my
business.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 15-06-2005, 11:54 PM
Hound Dog

"Ann" wrote in message
[...]

You are so right!

My neighbor across the back fence has at least half a dozen rusted out old
cars in his back yard. They were there when I move in and the neighbor nor
his junk cars has caused me any problems in the last three years.

The man I bought this property from said he had checked with the local
government and as long as the vehicles are hidden by a front fence, they can
do nothing about it.

Except for the junk cars, he keeps his home and yard in nice condition.

As I mentioned in a previous post, many things could be much worst.

Old 16-06-2005, 12:15 AM
William Wagner

In article ,
"Hound Dog" wrote:

"Ann" wrote in message
[...]

Another way of looking at is the Garden concept of borrowed scenery.
Some time you can include mount Fuji in your garden view. I'd hazard a
guess not many of us can. So we plant according.
No rusting junk about here just many bored barking dogs.

Bill

--
Garden Shade Zone 5 in a Japanese Jungle manner.
FAIR USE NOTICE: This may contain copyrighted (© ) material the use of

Old 16-06-2005, 12:47 AM
Vox Humana

"Ann" wrote in message
[...]

How would you have felt if you needed to sell your house while the neighbors
had a virtual junkyard? I don't mean WANT to sell, but NEED to sell. What
if, due to the trashy neighbors, you found that there were few people
interested in looking let alone making an offer? The offers you do get are
low-balls. That is a situation where it does become your business because
the junk reduces your property value or makes your house impossible to sell.

Old 16-06-2005, 01:05 AM
Ann

"Vox Humana" expounded:

How would you have felt if you needed to sell your house while the neighbors
had a virtual junkyard? I don't mean WANT to sell, but NEED to sell. What
if, due to the trashy neighbors, you found that there were few people
interested in looking let alone making an offer?

Well, obviously there are people out there who don't care - like me -
who will buy a house because they like the house. I'd appreciate
those kind of neighbors, that shows they'll keep their noses in their
own business and not mind mine. I don't see it as a huge hinderance.

The offers you do get are
low-balls. That is a situation where it does become your business because
the junk reduces your property value or makes your house impossible to sell.

You are completely ignoring what I initially said - I did buy a house
with a messy yard next door. The people who were selling this house
NEEDED to sell it, and I bought it. And there were other offers on
the very same house. So, I guess that shoots a few holes into your
argument.

If you're so worried about other people's homes, then you belong in a
nice managed neighborhood. Please stay there, and don't move next
door to me, trying to tell me how to live my life. I promise I won't
move next door to you and try to run yours.

Old 16-06-2005, 01:27 AM
John Bachman

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 15:24:41 -0400, Wolf Kirchmeir
wrote:

John Bachman wrote:
[...] I am about to contract to have a tree removed for the
first time in my life. It is a 100 foot white pine surrounded by

Ouch!

Who gets the wood? If done right, there will be sawlogs available form
that tree.

Oh, yeah. There will be many board that end up framing someone's
house. That is part of the deal with cutter downer who happens to be
a neighbor in that business. He gets to sell the logs to the sawmill.

All because I want to give the renegade sycamore that sprouted nearby
some room to do it's thing.

John

Now that's balancing one tree's need against another tree's desire... :-)

Yes again. I figure that some bird pooped out the sycamore seed and
that baby is already 15 feet tall after only 5 or 6 years. I won't
miss the pine pollen every June either.

John
Old 16-06-2005, 01:45 AM
Vox Humana

"Ann" wrote in message
"Vox Humana" expounded:

[...]

I'm just pointing out that in a free market, when you reduce demand you also
reduce the value. Reducing demand doesn't mean that there is no demand
although it could, and the timing of the sale could be critical. Also, just
because you can find an exception to a rule, it doesn't dismiss the concept.
Every neighbor that sells, no matter how slovenly, has magically decided to
clean-up their place. The door gets painted. The trim gets painted.
Flowers are planted. The windows are washed. The yard is mowed and
trimmed. Funny how people who don't give a damn for 5 years suddenly "get
it" when they decide to sell. Do you suppose it is because it increases the
value of their house or is it due to some unexplained compulsion to clean
and paint?

As for moving next to you, it would be the last thing I would ever consider.
I'm not worried about the homes of others. I just don't want inconsiderate
slobs, people operating meth labs, or acid-rock band rehearsals in my
neighborhood. I would be perfectly content if these things occurred in your
neighborhood because even slobs and drug deals have to live somewhere. I
suspect that you would be a hideous neighbor, bitching about everything
bothered you. I would laugh if a pig farm moved next to you. Remember, you
don't pay the mortgage or taxes so the stench would be none of your
business. One man's stench is another's junk yard. Enjoy.

Old 16-06-2005, 02:14 AM
Stu Pittasso

"Vox Humana" wrote in message
. ..

"Ann" wrote in message
[...]

I feel your pain and I'd not be too thrilled either, but I agree that at the
end of the day, they can do whatever the hell they want. It's their
property and their mortgage. Until I start paying it, it's none of my
business.

Old 16-06-2005, 10:07 AM
Ann

"Vox Humana" expounded:

As for moving next to you, it would be the last thing I would ever consider.
I'm not worried about the homes of others. I just don't want inconsiderate
slobs, people operating meth labs, or acid-rock band rehearsals in my
neighborhood. I would be perfectly content if these things occurred in your
neighborhood because even slobs and drug deals have to live somewhere. I
suspect that you would be a hideous neighbor, bitching about everything
bothered you. I would laugh if a pig farm moved next to you. Remember, you
don't pay the mortgage or taxes so the stench would be none of your
business. One man's stench is another's junk yard. Enjoy.

Meth labs. Inconsiderate slobs. Nice. You are another one who
resorts to insults when you're losing your argument. I hope you learn
to be more tolerant of those who have different views than you do.
But I'm pretty sure you're incapable of it.
Old 16-06-2005, 11:21 AM
Rod & Betty Jo

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
news
Would it bother you if your neighbor across the street parked an old car
on his lawn, left it there to rust for 5 years, and for whatever reason,
there was absolutely no way you could block the view using plants, fence,
etc?

Hypotheticals are so delicious....since one can easily craft one on demand
to prove or disprove any particular point pro or con..... Case in point
would said car still bother you quite as much if the neighbor after your 5
years of suffering silently thanked you profusely for being such a mellow
non complaining neighbor and handed you a million dollars?

Obviously some people wish to have absolute control over each and everything
of everybody else and I suppose even want someone controlling them...whereas
others think life is meant to be a little messy... sometimes good and
occasionally not to our liking but with no desire for rules and laws
attempting to regiment a "perfect life".... Rod

Old 16-06-2005, 11:30 AM
Rod & Betty Jo

"Ann" wrote in message
"Doug Kanter" expounded:
When I bought my house the next door neighbors basically had a
junkyard in their backyard. Dead washers, dryers, three rusting tin
sheds, a couple junk trucks, all kinds of tires, etc. Oh well. I
loved my house. They've moved on, new people live there now, they've
cleaned it up, life goes on. It's amazing what you can live with when
it really doesn't affect your basic life functions, like eating,
drinking, etc. Of course I'd rather not look at junk, but I'm not
paying their taxes or their mortgage. It's basically none of my
business.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a

I've had the same thing (more than once).....luckily they come and go and I
built a fenceG.....Incidentally 5 years ago when I became very ill, life
got just a little sidetracked as I nearly died with a very long
recuperation.... I had no neighbors complaining about "my mess"......Rod

Old 16-06-2005, 12:34 PM
Ann

"Rod & Betty Jo" expounded:

I've had the same thing (more than once).....luckily they come and go and I
built a fenceG.....Incidentally 5 years ago when I became very ill, life
got just a little sidetracked as I nearly died with a very long
recuperation.... I had no neighbors complaining about "my mess"......Rod

Rod, I'd rather have people living near me like you than like VH. And
I'm sure your neighbors appreciate your being alive and well rather
than sitting in judgement on you. I hope you stay healthy and well,
we need more gentle folks like you in our world )
Old 16-06-2005, 12:55 PM
Doug Kanter

"Ann" wrote in message
[...]

Well....sounds like it's all a matter of individual opinion, then.

Old 16-06-2005, 03:11 PM
Natty Dread

"Vox Humana" wrote in message
. ..

snippage

As for moving next to you, it would be the last thing I would ever
consider.
I'm not worried about the homes of others. I just don't want
inconsiderate
slobs, people operating meth labs, or acid-rock band rehearsals in my
neighborhood. I would be perfectly content if these things occurred in
your
neighborhood because even slobs and drug deals have to live somewhere. I
suspect that you would be a hideous neighbor, bitching about everything
bothered you. I would laugh if a pig farm moved next to you. Remember,
you
don't pay the mortgage or taxes so the stench would be none of your
business. One man's stench is another's junk yard. Enjoy.

Whoa, where do you get that she's a "hideous" neighbor"? "Even slobs and
drug dealers have to live somewhere" -- WTF? Everything she's written here
suggests exactly the opposite -- live and let live without getting in
someone else's business. No offense, but from my perspective as someone
just reading this thread, you have degenerated into histrionic flaming for
no reason.

Old 16-06-2005, 03:19 PM
Vox Humana

"Ann" wrote in message
"Vox Humana" expounded:

[...]

That's rich coming from YOU.

[IMG] code is On

Composting and neighbors LoneEarth Gardening 13 27-06-2003 11:56 PM
Gophers! Aargh! amjordan Texas 5 27-06-2003 05:32 PM
Gophers! Aargh! amjordan Texas 0 25-06-2003 06:38 AM
Peeing on Neighbors Yard BiG_Orange Gardening 47 02-06-2003 03:44 PM
Aargh! Blasted Orchids! Diana Kulaga Orchids 4 08-03-2003 09:25 PM