Old 15-06-2005, 11:14 PM
mar10

Default Roto Tiller carborator repair or replacement

I recently posted a question regarding a troy bilt Pony roto tiller
that tipped on it's side.

Well it looks like the carburetor may have become cracked. Wondering
what kind of cost I'm going to be looking at to repair/replace?
Anyone had to have this job done before?

Obviously will be calling repair shops tomorrow morning to check on
this, but wondered if it's going to be work it or if I'll need to
replace the unit. It was a bit price - $900 or so so hoping a repair
is in store.

Thanks

Old 16-06-2005, 12:15 PM
dps

Carburetors are easy to replace. The carburetor itself might cost a bit,
but certainly not $900. There are about 4 bolts and a couple of tubes to
remove and a wire link to disconnect. Then substitute the new unit and
put all the stuff back on. You can probably do it yourself.

Find a dealer for Troy-built stuff and get a carburetor. If it's a
fairly recent engine they would probably have one in stock. When you buy
the carburetor, get the dealer to print out a diagram of how the parts
go together. This will help you keep all the stuff straight so you don't
put something in the wrong place. It also will have a parts list so if
you lose some small frammis in the grass the diagram will tell you what
you need to get. When you get the carburetor, get a can of waterless
hand cleaner (you can get it at any hardware store, auto parts store,
Wal-mart, etc.) because your hands are going to get covered with grunge
and this stuff works better than soap. They make a citrus oil type that
smells good also (if you like citrus).

I'm sure the dealer will be willing to do the work if you want, but they
generally charge $40/hour and it would probably be a few days before
they can get it onto their schedule. It shouldn't take them more than an
hour or two. Two if they do some testing of the engine at the same time.

I bought a Troy-built horse tiller about 20 years ago. One time I ran it
through a tight space and the carburetor got hung up and cracked off.
They're castings, and not overly strong structurally. I replaced it and
was very careful about protecting the carburetor until I did it again.
When I replaced the carburetor for the second time I finally wised up
and bought the guard that bolts onto the tiller and protects the
carburetor. That carburetor has lasted about 18 years now.

Don't know if the guard is available for the Pony model, but it sure was
a good investment for the Horse.

Old 16-06-2005, 12:33 PM
Stubby

mar10 wrote:

I recently posted a question regarding a troy bilt Pony roto tiller
that tipped on it's side.

Well it looks like the carburetor may have become cracked. Wondering
what kind of cost I'm going to be looking at to repair/replace?
Anyone had to have this job done before?

Obviously will be calling repair shops tomorrow morning to check on
this, but wondered if it's going to be work it or if I'll need to
replace the unit. It was a bit price - $900 or so so hoping a repair
is in store.

Thanks

Or look for a used one that you can cannibalize.
Old 16-06-2005, 10:15 PM
Bill B

mar10 wrote:
I recently posted a question regarding a troy bilt Pony roto tiller
that tipped on it's side.

Well it looks like the carburetor may have become cracked. Wondering
what kind of cost I'm going to be looking at to repair/replace?
Anyone had to have this job done before?

Obviously will be calling repair shops tomorrow morning to check on
this, but wondered if it's going to be work it or if I'll need to
replace the unit. It was a bit price - $900 or so so hoping a repair
is in store.

Thanks

Thanks for the update. If you know where the crack is and if all the
parts are there you could try to epoxy the crack with JB Weld.
Old 17-06-2005, 11:13 AM
Pavel314

"mar10" wrote in message
oups.com...
I recently posted a question regarding a troy bilt Pony roto tiller
that tipped on it's side.

Well it looks like the carburetor may have become cracked. Wondering
what kind of cost I'm going to be looking at to repair/replace?
Anyone had to have this job done before?

Obviously will be calling repair shops tomorrow morning to check on
this, but wondered if it's going to be work it or if I'll need to
replace the unit. It was a bit price - $900 or so so hoping a repair
is in store.

I bought a used wood chipper last year; it turned out that the carb had to
be replaced. It only cost $75 and the job is simple; a couple of bolts and
connecting the fuel line.

Paul

Old 21-06-2005, 10:53 AM
dps

I've tried to repair cracked carburetor castings with various materials.
None of them worked in the long term. Heat is the problem with most of
the epoxy repairs.

Old 21-06-2005, 03:56 PM
Bill B

Bill B wrote:

...Thanks for the update. If you know where the crack is and if all the
parts are there you could try to epoxy the crack with JB Weld.

Although I haven't tried it on really hot items, J-B Weld advertises
that their product withstands 600 degree temps and their testimonials
indicate that it hs been used to repair engine blocks. I have been able
to drill and tap the stuff---I think it would be worth a try.
Old 21-06-2005, 05:02 PM
dps

I'll have to look into that one. Don't have any cracked engine blocks at
the moment, but you never know...

Old 21-06-2005, 05:10 PM
dps

Looked at the J-B website (http://jbweld.net/products/jbweld.php). From
the specs on the page, I would guess that repairing a cracked carburetor
would work, but the result would be weaker than the original. Probably
strong enough if it is protected from being hit or as long as the tiller
doesn't fall on it.

If it were my tiller, I would try it. As I recall, the OP had borrowed
the tiller. In that case I would go for a replacement carburetor to be
able to return the tiller in the original condition. (The carburetor
would be chalked up to educational expenses).

[IMG] code is On

Sears Roto-tiller Mike North Carolina 0 23-05-2005 06:31 PM
Sears Roto-tiller Mike North Carolina 0 19-05-2005 05:55 PM
Sears Roto-tiller Mike North Carolina 0 16-05-2005 02:12 PM
Sears Roto-tiller Mike North Carolina 0 10-05-2005 03:02 PM
Help ID a roto tiller please! brewster Lawns 1 05-05-2003 10:58 PM