GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Spring and autumn clematis (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/96004-spring-autumn-clematis.html)

[email protected] 16-06-2005 05:45 PM

Spring and autumn clematis

Has anyone ever grown a summer clematis and an autumn clematis on the
same trellis? I was wondering if each could hold it's own or if the
autumn clematis would be too over-powering.

William Wagner 16-06-2005 05:59 PM

In article . com,
wrote:

Has anyone ever grown a summer clematis and an autumn clematis on the
same trellis? I was wondering if each could hold it's own or if the
autumn clematis would be too over-powering.

Give it a shot! I've lost so many plants due to stupid mistakes that I
can't remember the particulars. . What bothers me is the chance of an
early failure led me to believe that/those plants won't work in my
micro-climate and a small chance for beauty was lost.

Bill

--
Garden Shade Zone 5 in a Japanese Jungle manner.
FAIR USE NOTICE: This may contain copyrighted (© ) material the use of

Travis 16-06-2005 07:02 PM

wrote:
Has anyone ever grown a summer clematis and an autumn clematis on
the same trellis? I was wondering if each could hold it's own or
if the autumn clematis would be too over-powering.

I have never heard of Clematis described as Summer or Autumn but it
should not be a problem.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

David Bockman 16-06-2005 11:04 PM

"Travis" wrote in

wrote:
Has anyone ever grown a summer clematis and an autumn clematis on
the same trellis? I was wondering if each could hold it's own or
if the autumn clematis would be too over-powering.

I have never heard of Clematis described as Summer or Autumn but it
should not be a problem.

Sweetautumn Clematis (Clematis maximowicziana) is *extremely* vigorous and
would certainly choke out a more placid named cultivar.

email:

http://beyondgardening.com/Albums

David Bockman 16-06-2005 11:07 PM

David Bockman wrote in
9.11:

wrote:
Has anyone ever grown a summer clematis and an autumn clematis on
the same trellis? I was wondering if each could hold it's own or
if the autumn clematis would be too over-powering.

I have never heard of Clematis described as Summer or Autumn but it
should not be a problem.

Sweetautumn Clematis (Clematis maximowicziana) is *extremely* vigorous
and would certainly choke out a more placid named cultivar.

Pardon that error-- Sweetautumn Clematis is Clematis terniflora, not
maximowicziana.

Paul Paulsen 17-06-2005 01:26 AM

I have five different varieties growing on the same lattice.
I use the heavy duty lattice made of plastic (white).
I added a frame to connect the two 4' x 8' sheets together and
connected to a utility pole.
I have my most vigorous summer and autumn plants at the opposite
ends and they do fine.
Between Chicago and Milwaukee.
Paul

ups.com...

Dana Schultz 17-06-2005 05:23 AM

Most of my trellis's have at least two. I try to get an early flowering and
a late flowering on the same one. but of course that doesn't always work
when I lose the tags! Other than that I try to get a pink with purple or
variations of.
I think to date I have 30 different clematis. Currently 10 are in bloom.

Zone 5b

--
Dana
www3.sympatico.ca/lostmermaid