GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   chile watering (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/96082-chile-watering.html)

[email protected] 18-06-2005 07:10 AM

chile watering

I have been watering my chile plants once a week and my herbs daily. I
am concerned that watering the chiles more will make them milder. Is
this correct or does it just matter how hot the air temp is? Both the
herbs and the chiles seem to be doing fine.

Stubby 18-06-2005 02:25 PM

wrote:
I have been watering my chile plants once a week and my herbs daily. I
am concerned that watering the chiles more will make them milder. Is
this correct or does it just matter how hot the air temp is? Both the
herbs and the chiles seem to be doing fine.

My impression is chili plants like most herbs, like to grow in dry soil
without any fertilizer. In past years I have just put the plants in and
watered them initially and pressed the soil to squeeze out any air.
They produced plenty of jalapeno and habenero peppers, more than I can
eat. But, note that they a long-season plants so you have to get them
started early.