GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tree removal (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/96183-tree-removal.html)

Tony Pacc 20-06-2005 10:45 AM

Tree removal

I have dead maple tree that must be removed,trunk diameter guess to be 18"
at base,is it possible to have the stump ground down to below dirt level,I
would like to put in another tree in the same area.

Treedweller 21-06-2005 03:58 PM

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 04:45:06 -0500, "Tony Pacc"
wrote:

I have dead maple tree that must be removed,trunk diameter guess to be 18"
at base,is it possible to have the stump ground down to below dirt level,I
would like to put in another tree in the same area.

Yes, stump grinders are a wonderful thing. You may be able to find a
rental for a day (I'd guess it would cost around $150) and do it
yourself, but unless you're a real fan of noise and flying bits of
dirt and wood, you'd probably do better to call around to tree
companies to find someone to do it for you.

The guy I work with charges by the inch (diameter of stump, not
diameter of trunk at breast height). This is for grinding to a depth
of 6 inches. For twice the price, you can get twice the depth. He
has a $100 minimum. This may not be much help to you where you are as
markets vary, but it's something to start with. You shouldn't have
much trouble finding someone with a grinder nearby. Probably the
first company you call will either do it or know someone who will.

good luck,
keith