Old 21-06-2005, 01:20 AM
Mary

Default Killing Honeysuckle/bleach

I am trying to kill some well established Honeysuckle bushes. I
cannot dig down far enough to remove the root.

What do you think about pouring straight bleach on the plants? Would
that make the ground unusable for the future?

Mary

Old 21-06-2005, 03:53 AM
Vox Humana

"Mary" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am trying to kill some well established Honeysuckle bushes. I
cannot dig down far enough to remove the root.

What do you think about pouring straight bleach on the plants? Would
that make the ground unusable for the future?

Why not just use some Round-up? You can cut the plants down and paint the
cut branches with full-strength Round-up.

Old 21-06-2005, 04:52 AM
Mary

I heard Roundup does not work. By I will try it first. I thought
bleach would be a cheap alternative.

Old 21-06-2005, 08:16 PM
John McGaw

Mary wrote:
I heard Roundup does not work. By I will try it first. I thought
bleach would be a cheap alternative.

This spring I have taken out probably 20 large honeysuckles and some
other annoying weed plants like mimosa and used the "chop it off and
paint the stub with concentrated Roundup" method on them. The success
rate seems to be 100% which is better than I've achieved trying to dig
out those nasty big root nodes in other years since if I missed any
large bits new growth was not unusual. Of course that means that there
will be little stubs sticking up but the area I was working in was
pretty rough already I didn't worry about it too much.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Old 22-06-2005, 01:51 AM
Mary

Thanks for the killing methods. I have found that these bushes seem to
thrive on abuse, and are very stubborn to get rid of.

Old 03-04-2020, 01:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

replying to Vox Humana, J.Mc wrote:
Roundup is proven to be horrible for people, animals, and plants. I'm not some
overbearing activist or anything, but I won't use that junk.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/garden...ach-39064-.htm

Old 01-04-2021, 02:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

Roundup is a waste of your time and money for bush honeysuckle. They may look dead for awhile but I guarantee in time, sometimes a couple years or more, you will see suckers coming back on those “dead” stumps. Short of drilling holes in it and filling it with the strongest glyphosate you can get your hands on then plugging the hole, it don’t work for crud on this stuff... I find it interesting all these sources stating roundup is the best thing for it. Pfft! Missouri edu being one of them... hmm Monsanto is head quarters is in St. Louis... Two words, Tordon RTU. Kills it dead first time with a simple cut stump treatment in any season! Just be careful, this stuff sticks around in the soil for a long time, but that’s what you NEED for honeysuckle, it takes time to get to all those roots and kill it dead permanently!

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/garden...ach-39064-.htm

[IMG] code is On

Honeysuckle buds - honeysuckle buds.JPG (1/1) Amos Nomore Garden Photos 1 28-12-2018 03:57 AM
Bleach in a fountain? Rob Ponds 12 14-07-2003 12:32 PM
Bleach in a fountain? paghat Gardening 3 14-07-2003 12:32 PM
Bleach in a fountain? Rob Ponds 0 10-07-2003 11:22 PM
Does bleach affect plant roots? Dave United Kingdom 0 15-10-2002 01:10 PM