GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   storing rhyzomes and bulbs (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/96325-storing-rhyzomes-bulbs.html)

Sallyrat&Sweetie 22-06-2005 09:00 PM

storing rhyzomes and bulbs

Hi the

I need to take my irises out of the garden and store them for a few months.
I have done this before with bad results. I have tried taking them out and
"planting" them buckets of soil only to have them decimated by iris borers
( obviously the larvae were already there but the irises seem to survive
them better in the garden). I have also previously just let them be "naked"
in a shady dry place ( which only worked for the large ones. the little
ones died.) Any ideas how I can store them better?

Also, I acquired some summer bulbs too late to plant them this year. How do
I keep them safely until next year?

Thank you in advance,
Sally ( Zone 5b)

Vox Humana 22-06-2005 10:30 PM

"Sallyrat&Sweetie" wrote in message
.. .
Hi the

I need to take my irises out of the garden and store them for a few

months.
I have done this before with bad results. I have tried taking them out

and
"planting" them buckets of soil only to have them decimated by iris borers
( obviously the larvae were already there but the irises seem to survive
them better in the garden). I have also previously just let them be

"naked"
in a shady dry place ( which only worked for the large ones. the little
ones died.) Any ideas how I can store them better?

Also, I acquired some summer bulbs too late to plant them this year. How

do
I keep them safely until next year?

Plant the summer bulbs now. They won't be any good next summer.